How safe are wood burners.

One person on our estate has had a wood burner installed.Whilst it does not kick out excessive smoke it smells disgusting.The fumes are drifting into peoples homes and they are complaining of sore throats and itchy eyes.It is impossible to hang out washing on a dry day as it smells of burning wood and has to be rewashed.According to the medics burning wood gives off dangerous particles which can cause severe breathing problems and possibly lung cancer.Sheffield is supposed to be a smoke free city,yet these monstrosities appear to be perfectly legal.Surely this is a return to the 40s when everybody had a smoking chimney and there was lots of smog.I really fail to see why a whole estate should suffer for one person.I know everybody has the right to their own way of living but there must be a good case to ban these things.

One person on our estate has had a wood burner installed.Whilst it does not kick out excessive smoke it smells disgusting.The fumes are drifting into peoples homes and they are complaining of sore throats and itchy eyes.It is impossible to hang out washing on a dry day as it smells of burning wood and has to be rewashed.According to the medics burning wood gives off dangerous particles which can cause severe breathing problems and possibly lung cancer.Sheffield is supposed to be a smoke free city,yet these monstrosities appear to be perfectly legal.Surely this is a return to the 40s when everybody had a smoking chimney and there was lots of smog.I really fail to see why a whole estate should suffer for one person.I know everybody has the right to their own way of living but there must be a good case to ban these things.

I fail to see how ONE log burning stove is causing a whole estate to suffer.:huh:

Something like 10/15% of houses in my village have log burning stoves.

No one complains. No one has dirty washing because of them.

Far more dangerous fumes are emitted from cars and other traffic.

It seems you have a gripe with a neighbour......and choose to exaggerate the situation.

Wood should be stored and dried before burning,anyone who has been to Europe can see the log piles at the side of homes,you can of course buy sacks of dried logs here but if you live near a wood there is no point providing you have asked the owners permission.Modern log burners are fitted with chimney filters.

If you go on the defra website i think you can see the areas in sheffield where solid fuel are allowed/not allowed

Solid fuel is allowed anywhere.

Solid fuel is allowed anywhere.

Sort of. The original post should have been worded:

"If you go on the defra website you can see the areas in sheffield which are smoke free zones"

I'm pretty sure that almost all of sheffield is a smoke free zone.

Wood and coal are NOT authorised fuels in smoke free zones. But in a smoke free zone you can burn it them in a defra exempt appliance - of which there is a list on the defra site. And you can only burn what the manufacturer says you can burn in those appliances.

outside a smoke free zone I presume you can burn whatever you like.

Edited by TimmyR