How safe are wood burners.

They look good but not very effective heat wise. They can be expensive on fuel too, although you may be lucky enough to get fuel for free from a country estate, which is often a result of grounds peoples' thinning activites, but I've heard of people taking it all and selling it on. A sign of the times I'm afraid

What are 'smokeless' zones for then Mr Expert?

They are for maintaining air quality, Mr Bowie.

However, wood is not on the Defra list, yet it is perfectly legal to burn it in a smokeless zone:)

There are plenty of other examples, should you care to research them.

That is very true. However, it is the smoke, not the fuel, that is important.

In the case of domestic heating, the fuel is very important. In order for the smoke to be within limits, the fuel cannot be any old wood, The vast majority of domestic wood burning stoves can only burn untreated, dried wood. Wood treatments and paint are not acceptable.

In the case of domestic heating, the fuel is very important. In order for the smoke to be within limits, the fuel cannot be any old wood, The vast majority of domestic wood burning stoves can only burn untreated, dried wood. Wood treatments and paint are not acceptable.

As I said, the smoke is the important part, not the fuel. That's the bit that has the potential to cause harm.

The smoke depends upon both the type of fuel and the burn temperature. Take a look at the exemptions. You can get a stove to burn all kinds of things safely.

No if you read the rules, the fuel is very important.

It is fairly important.

The smoke is more important.

As you will know, turning a stove burning dried logs down to tick-over can easily produce a variety of carcinogens.

As I said, the smoke is the important part, not the fuel. That's the bit that has the potential to cause harm.

The smoke depends upon both the type of fuel and the burn temperature. Take a look at the exemptions. You can get a stove to burn all kinds of things safely.

It is fairly important.

The smoke is more important.

As you will know, turning a stove burning dried logs down to tick-over can easily produce a variety of carcinogens.

Of course it is the smoke that has potential to do harm. But the smoke is directly related to the fuel burnt and the type of stove.

Re bib. There are very few that can correctly burn anything other than wood, and even then, there are limits on the other items which can be burnt.

I've no intention of reading through the whole list, but with a cursory glance I didn't see any of the ones which could burn other materials which were actually domestic sized stoves. Most appeared to be industrial sized units.