Book recommendation for 14-year-old boy?

So much bias in this thread about 14 year olds and books.

Even if they don't read regularly they will still enjoy reading the right books, it is just a case of finding the right book.

I would suggest things like the Hunger Games, the Hobbit, LotR, Ender's Game and so on. Kids will read, but because people increasingly THINK they don't like it, they don't stimulate it enough.

Also, don't listen to things like reading age and so on for a 14 year old, if you have favourite books that are for adults, let them read them! He might well love the Girl with a dragon tattoo by Stieg Larsson, the books contain lots of passages about computers and so on, read away like water and are exciting.

Signed, an ex-school librarian.

---------- Post added 14-12-2014 at 08:45 ----------

PS make sure to sign him up at the Central Library and include a library card.

...if you have favourite books that are for adults, let them read them! He might well love the Girl with a dragon tattoo by Stieg Larsson, the books contain lots of passages about computers and so on, read away like water and are exciting. ...

And, of course, check with his parents about whether they're happy with him receiving fiction aimed outside the children/young adult market. While he might be happy with his cool uncle presenting him with, for example, the latest Stephen King, or James Herbert's final offering, his parents might be horrified...

And, of course, check with his parents about whether they're happy with him receiving fiction aimed outside the children/young adult market. While he might be happy with his cool uncle presenting him with, for example, the latest Stephen King, or James Herbert's final offering, his parents might be horrified...

They shouldn't be, but of course they might be :) I was devouring all Stephen King books I could get my hands on from around age 13-14, children of this age want to go a step further and... A lot of literature specifically aimed at them actually does.

They shouldn't be, but of course they might be :) ...

Since the sister suggested the idea of a book for Christmas, and the Christmas presents are presumably to be unwrapped on Christmas morning to the oohs and aahs of the gathered family members, it's perhaps wise to establish the parents' ground rules for their kids' books; for the conservative parents of a fourteen year old, 'The Rats' might go down as well as a plate of cold sprouts on Boxing Day.

...I was devouring all Stephen King books I could get my hands on from around age 13-14, children of this age want to go a step further and... A lot of literature specifically aimed at them actually does.

Books aimed at the nephew's age group might deal with adult themes, but their content and its presentation are usually age-appropriate; certainly few will deal with the adult themes in the explicit detail you expect from a novel aimed at adults. Different rules apply at the top end of young adult fiction, of course (Melvin Burgess et al).

I'd buy the nephew a book token (or digital equivalent) and let him loose in a book shop (or digital equivalent).

I agree entirely Hecate, of course one needs context to advice on the appropriate title.

In fact I'd take your suggestion of the book-token one step further and take the lad to the biggest, bestest Waterstones I could find and tell them they have a budget of X, what do they fancy.

I agree entirely Hecate, of course one needs context to advice on the appropriate title.

In fact I'd take your suggestion of the book-token one step further and take the lad to the biggest, bestest Waterstones I could find and tell them they have a budget of X, what do they fancy.

I think this would be the best idea - unfortunetely, he lives on the south coast, so not practical!

---------- Post added 14-12-2014 at 13:37 ----------

I bought 'weerz me mam' i think it was called a few years back for my 15 year old, a proper sheffielders book he couldn't put it down and still talks about it now and he's bought the others that go along with it aswell

Nice idea but as the nephew lives in West Sussex, i suspect he won't understand a word of it!

I think this would be the best idea - unfortunetely, he lives on the south coast, so not practical!

---------- Post added 14-12-2014 at 13:37 ----------

Nice idea but as the nephew lives in West Sussex, i suspect he won't understand a word of it!

Is it fair to assume you don't know him through and through then? In that case I'd probably look around for a good deal on something like the Hunger Games trilogy or one of the other popular series out there.

...In fact I'd take your suggestion of the book-token one step further and take the lad to the biggest, bestest Waterstones I could find and tell them they have a budget of X, what do they fancy.

That's certainly on my Christmas wish list.