Australian coffee shop seige by islamist.

Of course. Islamic culture is blighted by extremism and it is impossible to back up such a claim without referring to the acts of extremism.

They are peace loving people who perpetuate religious and cultural beliefs that create too many intolerant and violent extremists. They need to stop doing that.

All religions and culture produce nutters who are freaks of nature. However, the majority of British born Muslims running off to fight jihad are not deranged freaks of nature but deranged freaks of nurture... their madness has been taught.

It is impossible to say with any certainty whether an individual would have turned out different if brought up in a different faith/culture. It is however possible to say with certainty that people brought up in an Islamic culture are far more likely to hold extremist views, and to act on them in a violent way, than people brought up in different culture. Religious extremism is indisputably a far worse problem in Islamic culture than any other. The fact that they do not have a complete monopoly on the problem is irrelevant.

We are going to have to agree to differ Zamo. We are not quite poles apart because there are parts of what you say I have no problem with.

However, I think it is a big error of comprehension to say that the problem stems from the religion. I stand by what I said about the vast majority of Muslims practising their faith in a peaceful way.

As I see it organisations like ISIS, ISIL, Al Queida, etc are full of people who are more in love with extreme violence than Allah.

They are people who have broken their connection with humanity and in all my experience and knowledge that makes them insane. Religion is an excuse and not a cause.

You could even lump in the "Christian" Westboro Baptist Church with that lot.

Those people always remind me of a song by the sublime Randy Newman called "Rednecks."

The chorus is, "We're rednecks, we're rednecks, we don't know our ass from a hole in the ground, we're redneck, we're rednecks and we are keeping the ******* down."

The blanked out word is a reference to African Americans and is a word I refuse to use!

Those people always remind me of a song by the sublime Randy Newman called "Rednecks."

The chorus is, "We're rednecks, we're rednecks, we don't know our ass from a hole in the ground, we're redneck, we're rednecks and we are keeping the ******* down."

The blanked out word is a reference to African Americans and is a word I refuse to use!

Dont use a sentence where that word is used then. That way you wont have to make a song and dance about how morally superior you are.

As I see it organisations like ISIS, ISIL, Al Queida, etc are full of people who are more in love with extreme violence than Allah.

They are people who have broken their connection with humanity and in all my experience and knowledge that makes them insane. Religion is an excuse and not a cause.

I think it's worse than useless to just write of these people as insane. We learn nothing from that, no understanding, no help at all in preventing things like this happening in the future, you're just writing these people off as humans, I think it's entirely counter productive.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 15:16 ----------

You could even lump in the "Christian" Westboro Baptist Church with that lot.

No you couldn't though. How many acts of extreme violence have they committed?

You're painting a false equivalence.

Edited by flamingjimmy

I think it's worse than useless to just write of these people as insane. We learn nothing from that, no understanding, no help at all in preventing things like this happening in the future, you're just writing these people off as humans, I think it's entirely counter productive.

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 15:16 ----------

No you couldn't though. How many acts of extreme violence have they committed?

You're painting a false equivalence.

Re my bold.

Say why please.