Yeah yeah yeah ..annoying habit

They're called fillers, they happen unconsciously. It's only the same as saying errm, or huh, etc. Doesn't really bother me at all to be honest.

I was sat near someone on the bus recently who kept saying 'like' repeatedly throughout his conversation with the girl sat next to him. I entertained myself by counting how many times he said it for a while, but I soon lost count, it was a 40 minute journey.

I think 'like' is the new 'erm'

I prefer erm.

:)

'so' as the first word in the thread was something that stood out immediately, I'm surprised that others commented on it. I'm not sure whether it's grammatically correct or not, I don't care really, but it's something that I've noticed in newspapers at work in the reader letter pages. It's normally followed by something ridiculous in those though, so I seem to associate it with that.

Not that yours was ridiculous jamtart :) I haven't seen you post for ages :)

---------- Post added 15-12-2014 at 22:56 ----------

I was sat near someone on the bus recently who kept saying 'like' repeatedly throughout his conversation with the girl sat next to him. I entertained myself by counting how many times he said it for a while, but I soon lost count, it was a 40 minute journey.

:hihi: - reminded me ^^

I picked up 2 young students (both female) in my taxi last year, Crookes to Mosborough Hall, and by Winter Street I'd realised their conversation was just 'like's. I also counted but at about hundred by St Mary's Gate, I got bored. :hihi:

so are you one of these annoying people who find it necessary to say yes/yeah multiple times in reply to questions ? do you realise how silly it sounds , one positive or negative reply will do :loopy:

Like whatever..............

I hate this modern fad of starting every sentence or reply with 'So'.

So do I.

---------- Post added 16-12-2014 at 11:15 ----------

Done for emphasis but surely preferable to 'Obviously', the standard footballers' sentence starter.

Followed very quickly by "hopefully".

Too many sentences also start with. You know what. Another one is when weather reporters say,ye weather. Now I don't particularly mind if someone says ye instead of your, in the street, I do it myself. It just doesn't sound right on the airwaves, but in any case, unless the weather reporter is broadcasting from a divers decompression chamber or an airtight room with it's own atmosphere, then it's their weather too, so what they should say is, our weather, and don't start me on the not puin Ts in and Gs on the end, like that. I mean come on, language evolves over time but methinks thou all knowest what I meaneth.

Edited by spilldig