Old Pub Landlords Where are they now

stpetre

Joe and Alice Siddall still had the Cumberlands Head in the 1980's.

Yes they retired in about 88/89 Joe died not long after and Alice died 2 years ago. I grew up in Cumberland. My parents used to help behind bar, Brian and Linda. It was brilliant growing up there

There are not many Landlords about now {Not Old Fashioned Ones} Bill & Rita Fisher who kept{Hermitage} London Rd then moved to { Shoulder Mutton} Worrall. Albert & Dot Hopkins who kept {White Hart}Oughtibrige. They were fantastic Landlords always wore collar and tie had a word with everyone good old days.

ruth at the crown. is that the same ruth that owned r and bs (ruth and barrys) ?

"...............

---------- Post added 02-01-2015 at 14:54 ----------

Ruth at the Crown on Scotland Street was a real **** bird.

Big John in the Adelphi another famous landlord [long gone].

Alf Ward at the Gardeners rest on Neepsend Lane [Alf would take his wig of and throw it at you ].

Alan Pashley at the Freedom on South Road [a gentleman]

Alan and Mary Ward at the same pub, [Alan would chuck Mike Tyson out if necessary no messing]

Bernard Frith at the Rose House on South Road at Walkley,[used to drop maggots into the lasses shopping bags ,they would then go back to Duggies the butcher threatening to hang him from a meat hook] One night when it was raining cats and dogs he came through the front door wearing a frogman's suit complete with snorkel he then served behind the bar and talked daft]. Bernard would also cut off a complete strangers tie and throw it in the bin how he never got lynched I will never know.

Les May at the Hallamshire on Commonside as well as the Shakespeare at Shalesmoor Les new every customer by name and was always good for a loan if some one was skint.

Alan Ward at Walkley Cottage now. Les still around, retired now but lives just on from Hallamshire at Commonside. Lovely, happy memories of Hallamshire, my second home for many years

"...............

---------- Post added 02-01-2015 at 14:54 ----------

Alan Ward at Walkley Cottage now. Les still around, retired now but lives just on from Hallamshire at Commonside. Lovely, happy memories of Hallamshire, my second home for many years

Just changed new to knew:mad: Bloody Prince Edwards:hihi:

I called in the Hallamshire one Friday night mid December , There was one of the regulars sat in a deck chair at a table complete with sun parasol ,he was dressed in Hawaiian shirt with matching shorts along with straw sun hat.

The guy was supping Pina Colada's while reading the Times.

I asked Less "whats he up to" Les replied "How do I know I'm only bleein landlord".

Happy days as you say.

Edited by cuttsie

Tom & Margery Elliott who kept the Haychatter in Bradfield were another couple who were great Landlords,sadly Tom passed away few years ago his wife was still about last year saw there son in law. [ Haychatter now blot on the landscape looks awfull]