Pub licensing hours in 60's

Jax1

It was 10:30 in '62 for sure

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 09:34 ----------

And 11:00 in Derbyshire. Opening time in Sheff. was 5:30 but 6:00 in Derbyshire so they both had the same "open" hours. (unless you were a regular :-)

I lived at Swallownest, and we used to go to the Loyal Trooper at Anston, then about 10 mins before closing we dashed towards Worksop, went over the golf course into Lindrick Village for the later opening. But often very late opening if the village bobby was in there with us.

Loyal Trooper was then a spirits house, sso for the same money the sprits measures were larger.

When I moved to Driffield in East Yorkshire in 1967 things were very much different. All the surrounding towns had market day (livestock market day) on a different day of the week - Monday to Saturday. On market day the pubs opened at breakfast time and shut about 11-00pm - open all day. So going into Bridlington, Driffield, Beverley, Malton, Hull, outskirts of York it was possible to benefit from all day opening - which still continues. Usually a lot of farmers in there trying to do deals over livestock before the start of the auctions

I remember a similar thing on market day at Wirksworth near Matlock around 1963/4 and also Worksop around the same time.

No doubt there were many others where this occurred.

Victor - Subang Jaya, Selangor State - Malaysia (It Aint 'Alf 'Ot Mum)