Middlewood Hospital church

Tim M

Dear all, I know the hospital has been discussed before, but I'm trying to find out about the church. I believe my great, great grandfather, Robert Johnson, did some paintings inside. Any leads? Thanks

Can't help on the research issue, I'm afraid, but I will say this:-

I think it's a crying shame that the developers of this site, on the old Middlewood and Wharncliffe hospitals aren't being forced to do more to protect some of the beautiful old buildings, such as the church and the clock tower that are on that site.

They seem to be wanting to permit the buildings to deteriorate to the point where it could be argued that they would be economically unviable to refurbish/ redevelop, as they'd be too far gone in their deterioration to "bring back".

That would open the doors to the developer being permitted to demolish the derelict parts, and redevelop, with new buildings, as they wish, with no restrictions.

(I have memories of visiting my late grandpa in the mid 1960's in the Wharncliffe Hospital, when he had an operation on his foot . IIRC it was an orthopaedic hospital, which was on the next-door site to the old Wadsley Asylum, which became the Middlewood Hospital)

PT

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Archived