Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

red, I always thought that it was a "home for the sheffield aged" as per the stickers we used to get on its flag day which read "little sisters of the poor, homes for the sheffield aged"

also the housing has only been on that site since the early eighties, IIRC (there's a plaque on the front wall which gives the date of South Yorkshire Housing Assoc, erecting the new houses) I beleive/suspect the 1971 date is possibly when the convent stopped being a convent...?

now, on the subject of orphanages. one of the elderly customers who uses the charity I volunteer for, tells the tales of his mother growing up in the old Mount Pleasant House, Sharrow Lane, just after the turn of the century. the sitwells who were weallthy landowners orunfd here I think, gave the building over tho be a "school" for orphans)

There is an Orphanage Road off Barnsley road, that runs at the side of Firs Hill school, at the top of pitsmoor. Something tells me there might be a link/ very big clue there.

There were the Cherry Tree Homes, at Nether Edge...?

Also, we had at least two/ three workhouses in the Sheffield area, One at Nether Edge (which became Nether Edge Hospital, which has now become very prestigious housing) and the other I can remember being told was a workhouse, which is now the Northern General hospital (and wasn't Middlewood hospital a workhouse, before it became the asylum? I could be wrong)

I also believe there was a childrens home in the Totley area, near to where the Cheshire Homes is now.

PT

Originally posted by Millhouses

There was an orphange at Lodge Moor back in the 50's. Now an up market residential area, but I remember seeing the kids walking back from Fulwood Church on a Sunday morning - quite a trek!

Was that what was the 'naughty girls' home' in the seventies?

My mum was brought up in an orphanage until she was adopted when she was about 6 I think. The family who adopted her, well her new mums sister was in charge of all the childrens homes in Sheffield at the time. (or something like that) I'll ask my mum for some info.

There was also a childrens home/orphanage in Hillsborough at the bottom of Minto Road. It's now P.A.R.K nursery. It was run by the Catholic Church.