Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

does anyone know the where abouts of terry o,brian he was in fulwood cottage homes,

with his brother michael, both in no3 house . house mother miss burton, tall person with

glasses,that was in the early 1940 i dont know when he left , but it would be around

middle 1950,s. i did hear he went in the navy. terry and me were great buddies, i was in no6 miss lindly

terry had the best singing voice in the homes. at christmas we use to go up to the super intendents house, they were a good dozon of us up there. we all had practice,s

singing carols,but terry was the best. i hope he took up singing, he would make a good

tenor. hope to hear

Anyone know anything of the Sacred Heart Convent on Minto Road in Hillsborough?

I lived at 20 Dykes Hall Road from 1952 to 1979, and our garden backed on to the convent. It was presumably attached to the Sacred Heart church on Forbes Road. I imagine it closed in the 1980s; until then you would often see the sisters and children in Hillsborough. One of the nuns was from Latvia and was full of stories of the war and how she fled across Europe. I delivered the convent's post over Christmas in 1963 and 1964 and they always had a kind word (and often a mince pie!).

• 3 weeks later...

does anyone know the whereabouts` of a syliva westney, she was in folwood cottage

homes. i think syliva was in number17 house, and not sure if the mother was

miss highfield`s. and i think she wore glasses.-----syliva was in the home around

1942/3 but not sure when she left. ---i was in number6 ,how i would love to chat

to her. ---p.s we were childhood sweatheart`s

this thread has not been active for a while, have you all gone on holiday`s.

anyway, my sister has been intouch to say there will be a reunion on the 21st april,

for the 60`s and over. it`s for the folwood cottage homes people in the 1940`s

it was in the evening star, friday12th,2008,i will find out the pub as there were a mix

up.but it is in graystones arera,eccelsall- folwood. does- brenda smith and brian

kershaw ring a bell. those two people said to be going.p.s. hope for a good turn out.

as said, i will find out about the pub where it`s to be held, san the time.

Anlabystreet

I was a housemother in The Reception Center on Broomgrove Road. I believe that might be the one you are reffering to.

I worked there about 1957. Mr Siddall was the Superintendant and he was a very good man and looked out for those children- even if they were only there for a few weeks.

Anyone out there the same time I worked?

Hello Brian

We are not living in Sheffield now,we moved to Lincolnshire in 1985.

Cannot get to Sheffield very often due to Tom's health.

It was only by chance I found this site I had been doing family history and looked up FCH.

Have you seen the old pictures on the Photographs of Sheffield-----before your time.

Tom says is there any chance of you letting him have a copy of that photo of him on the beach in his costume. We have non of him when he was young. If you can I will send you an email with our address, unless you are able to scan and email things.

Do you remember a Miss Maltby who was a housemother? She was my cousin.

Thanks Brian

hi flyer,when you went to canada was it in u.s. dollar`s. when i went to australia

last year, i made friends with someone from canada a place called---kelowna.

we keep intouch with the e. mailing and photo`s. anyway give us your name

and the house number, with the mother`s name. i have a load of boys and girls

names, lets see if you can pick them out. brian.