Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

hi flyer, you said you left in 46, what age would you be now,

both the names ring a bell,but they could have left after you or they may have

took to another house number,------so you did`nt like miss bull, or miss milner.

but i said we new miss royston was in no2----and miss burton was in no3,

guess what flyer, i have seen raymond searle today he said he was in no2 house.

do you remember him, he also had a brother called harry searle, brian.

hi folks, just found out about the re-union for the 21st april monday 11.00 am.

it is for the people that went to hunters bar school in the 1940/50, plus for

those who was in the homes. the meeting place is at highcliff hotel,

graystones, just up from encliffe park. sheffield. i`ll be there with some others,

see you to. have a great time. p.s. some free drink on go . bye.

hi sputnikboy, just to get me up to date, your the rodney fearnhough

please tell me again what number house you was in, and the mother.

did you say you moved to australia, or where was it.

i some how think i know you, mail me back while i put my thinking cap on.

brian

Eureka! At last there's a response to my previous several posts!

You got my name almost correct. It's Rodney Fearnehough.

I was in Cottage #9.

My house mother was Miss Bower.

Yes, I moved to Australia in 1960. I also spent a number of years in the U.S. where I married an Oregon girl. I returned to Australia from Chanute, Kansas with my wife and son in 1980. I'm presently living in Townsville, Queensland.

I'm not sure if you would have known me or not. Cottage #9 was known as 'the little kids' cottage and just about everyone else in FCH seemed to be so much older than we were even though they were actually not that much older. That would have been circa 1950 to 1955/56.

Anyway, if you need more info from me just ask away.

By the way, several posts back I asked about a 'house-brother' of mine by the name of Ernest Hill. I believe that you or someone related to you said that they knew Ernest and had actually seen him fairly recently. I'd love to get in touch with him after so long. Can you help?

Thanks.

monday april 21st,----hunters bar school re-union. well did anyone manage to get there.

what a great turn out,60/70 plus people. we talked about the old school days, and the

air crash in endcliffe park of 1944.it landed in the woods behind the cafe. also at this

meeting was folks from folwood cottage homes.--i pushes my way into the crowd , and

hoping not to spill my drink, well on the shakes of hands-and laughs we had, and looking

up the old black-white photos of f.c.h.not for getting the black white photos of the

school.there is a another one being arranged for men only,then for ladies only later in

the year. again will look forward to it. p.s forgot to mention my sister came with 2 freinds.--well,---it was good fun-interesting,and to know some of us are still around.

did you go to this school,--lets know.---------bye.

hi sputnikboy,yes miss bower was in no9 and the house was sort off ? on the corner

a house on its own, then carry on to no11/12-double house. tell me-can you remember

that.---anyway rodney, i am going to try and put a face to your name. the face i am

vis`ualiseing,-take`s me back to the years when you were in the homes. i see -not a tall

lad-but tall`ish, and fair`ly fair`ish hair.--i am now struggle`ing, did your hair sort to

have quive`s in,or better still ( wa`vy ).--i did for get to mention, was you also on the

slender-( thin- side ).------i hope this is 10 out of 10, let me know. rodney,- regarding

those messages about the hills, i did get it wrong that my half sister married ernest,

know --it was ronnie hill. ronnie lives in my area,---and ernest lives up manor, again ---

not far from me. it was ronnie i saw some weeks ago, he is devoiced now from my

sister. tell you what pal,--hang in there and i`ll do you some checking around.

sorry i never got back to you ,from those`s weeks back--leave things with me regards the hills. in mean time let me know my questions about you, and your age as now.

bri.

hunters bar school reunion. 25 april, 2008.

continuation.

poem.

we had a class reunion

it was good to see old chums,

from days when first-we learned

to read and spell ,and do our sums.

so many years have passed since then

i wonder can it be,

that i look just as old to them

as they all do to me.

------------------------------

i move from nether green jnr- to hunters bar 1949/50,

mr thomas bingham, then was my head teacher,

mr bingham started there in 1934--till 1957, to his retirement.( 23yrs )

i think i letf h.b.s.1953/4,-and moved to owler lane school at grimesthorpe

sheffield 4.

we had house teams, red--saxtons

blue--normans

green--celts

yellow--vikings

points scored, house with most won trophy cup.

houses, teacher head,-boy house,-captain and vice captain.

-----------------------------------------------------------

hunters bar school can claim, it`s taught children who have become--professionals,

doctors--actors---actrees--such as ---( patricia haines 1932 )

and star--( michael caine now `sir`) and many more professionals.

in the few years i was schooling there, i had some great times with the out side--

children, meaning the people that didnt live in the folwood cottage homes.

but i did also have good friends in the homes.

i remember , in all my school days from jnr to senior, maybe even in the infants--i was

always playing about in the class,i had a few strokes off the cane.

the slipper or the cane did`nt do us any harm really,

some teachers abused some kids,----but it`s children abusing the teachers now,

tell her/him to------off or kick on shins.

( quote ) you hit me and i`ll tell my mother,--you tell your mother,

and you`ll get another.--in our days, i bet your lot are thinking bring back mr.?

we thought one look was enough from some of our teachers,

that frosty face made some of our knees knock and tremble.

well hope you have enjoyed. byeeeeeeeee. brian.

hi sputnikboy,yes miss bower was in no9 and the house was sort off ? on the corner

a house on its own, then carry on to no11/12-double house. tell me-can you remember

that.---anyway rodney, i am going to try and put a face to your name. the face i am

vis`ualiseing,-take`s me back to the years when you were in the homes. i see -not a tall

lad-but tall`ish, and fair`ly fair`ish hair.--i am now struggle`ing, did your hair sort to

have quive`s in,or better still ( wa`vy ).--i did for get to mention, was you also on the

slender-( thin- side ).------i hope this is 10 out of 10, let me know. rodney,- regarding

those messages about the hills, i did get it wrong that my half sister married ernest,

know --it was ronnie hill. ronnie lives in my area,---and ernest lives up manor, again ---

not far from me. it was ronnie i saw some weeks ago, he is devoiced now from my

sister. tell you what pal,--hang in there and i`ll do you some checking around.

sorry i never got back to you ,from those`s weeks back--leave things with me regards the hills. in mean time let me know my questions about you, and your age as now.

bri.

Yep ...I can picture Cottage #9 right now. It was indeed located just after the right curve of the pathway. As you say, it stood alone. It had a porch where we kids would discard our shoes and such before entering the house. How I would love to see it now if it's still standing. Memories of the distant past . . .

Oh my ...trying to describe myself from all of those years back. I was - I think - a rather 'stocky' kid of medium height ...certainly not overweight but not skinny either. I would have had straight fair hair and complexion (obviously) and I had a fascination for music, astronomy and space travel. Possibly only the other kids in Cottage #9 would have been aware of this. Other 'house-brothers' that I recall were Ernest Hill (of course), Roger Bradbury, Kenneth Bolton, George Archer, Tony Wales, Graham Hanson (who, for a moment in time was my best friend), David Wales, Derek Hibberd, and Jimmy Pickering (an older boy). My age? ...hmmm. Well, if the figure in your screen name is accurate for your age then I'm two or three years your junior.

Thanks again for your interest. I'll be looking forward to hearing more from you.