Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

hi adrian, i am still scratching my head where this village school was.

the david unwin, i did spot it in the threads some while back--and about his death.

i need to look through again, to be honest i forgot what it said now.

i did mention to you befor, that he lived in same house as me at my foster mums.

that was in grimesthorpes--sheffield 4, he was fostered there, but he had joined the

army, i only saw him when he came home on leave. i would`nt know who was old`ist.

what age was he when he died, i have a photo off him flyer.--bye

hi brian i dont know who the oldest i first knew the Unwins from High House Rd (off Bamforth st) now long gone but wilf doesn't remember living there he went into sea training on leaving F.C H ,Try searching "Munne"(wilf )but i havn't heard from him in a while.The school was centre of Fullwood village but i can see why you would have no reason to go into the village

HI Brian

Yes I remember boats in Endcliffe Park,and going down to Pomona Street and helping ourselves to Coco Cola bottles of the lorrys parked out there .

Can you remember the aeroplane flying around all day with the Coco Cola streamer behind it.Can you find out what happened to Jeremy Woolman and Tony Horsefield?

Yes Mary recognised me. My grandson is the image of me on that photo.

HI Brian

Yes I remember boats in Endcliffe Park,and going down to Pomona Street and helping ourselves to Coco Cola bottles of the lorrys parked out there .

Can you remember the aeroplane flying around all day with the Coco Cola streamer behind it.Can you find out what happened to Jeremy Woolman and Tony Horsefield?

Yes Mary recognised me. My grandson is the image of me on that photo.

--------------

hi tommy/mary,-----so it`s was the coco cola that was giving yer the winds

and bloating, do you remember the milk man coming round them old houses,

at back off them shops, we use to go down them back wacks,--and borrow

milk off the window`sill ( free ) did wanted to pay them back.

but we had to get back to school.---ha-ha.

yes i do remember the plane coming round.

you mention jeremy woolman/ and tony horsefield, was them lads in homes.

but i do know a ernest horsefield was in no6 with me.

-------------------------------------------------

tommy, did you notice i put in threads about the staffs names,

in f,c h,---do you recognise any of the names. lets know. bri.

Hello Brian

Yes I remember all the names on your list, not very well up on the girls side but my sistere were in #16.

There was a Miss Johnson living in #11 she was in charge of the clothing and shoe store,we handed in the outgrown clothes and got replacements(old things in a larger size.)

There was a Mrs Beal who sorted out cuts and bruises,and I always got chapped legs through wearing short trousers in the winter.

Jeremy Woolman had a big scar on the back of his head from when I threw a brick that hit him there.

When we went into the assembly hall for the hair cuts that you talked about earlier you always knew when he was in the chair cos his hair never grew back on the scar. Can you remember all the barbers comming at once to do the hair cuts.

We had it cut wether we needed it or not.

Ernest Horsefield was the one who lifted me off the back gate I often wonder what happened to him.If he hadnt been there I might not have survived.

When I was at Lidget Lane school I got my head stuck in the school railings and the Fire Brigade had to come and bend the railings to get me out,were you at that school at the time? I will get in touch again by email...................

Tommy

Have asked this question before but thought i'd ask again anyway - I was wondering if anyone recalls a Fred Taylor at the homes ? he was born in May 1944 and as far as I know he was there throughout his childhood so probably into the 1960's at a guess , He is my long lost uncle and would be great if someone out there knows or knew of him as he and my dad were separated at an early age (long story !!!) , cheers , Richard

did any one live in sacred heart childrens home between 1980 and 1984. there where 3 homes one on minto road that was mainly for the boys and another on 42 and 44 dykes hall road that was two houses joined together for the yonger ones and 172 dykes all road for the older girls

Hiya

My cousin Cheryl came across a couple of pictures whilst sorting out some stuff of her late fathers. Some of you remember him(Gordon Gower). Him and 6 siblings were in the Fulwood cottage homes in the 40's and 50's.

Just wondered if the pictures were the homes and if you recognised anyone in the pictures?

Thanks!

Cottagehomes.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

tommy/mary,

got your private mail and i will sort the pictures out.

i didnt know the had turned out like they had.

one off them was the main office as you went to the front

in the 1950s there use to be a big gate there,

as now today that office as been knocked down, there is a bunglow being

put in that place.

another picture was off all the staff--house mothers--gardners--store`s men--

and mr/mrs hildreth superintendent 1940/50.

another picture was at marske by the sea---on holiday --redcar.

them army wooden huts,

do you remember the sleeping arrangements,---123 house--1st hut,

456house 2nd hut,--789house 3rd house and so on till all full.

hay tommy, i always got through doors first and run down hut to pick my bunk bed.

it was the top bunk, with them high beams i used to swing on them over my bed.

hay those were the days.

if house mother cought us , she sent us to bed early plus a smacked arse.

can yo remenber her little bedroom, ex office she said.

it had a small slidding window, she would peep through it--to see we were asleep.

then if she heard a noise she would walk round the beds,

when she were coming over to me,--i would slide down the bed let her think i was asleep.hee--heeeeeee.

( i am laughing---ha--ha )> oh happy days tommy.

mary them things you asked me in that mail,--i will send you a letter by post.

anyway tommy, we will have another chit--chat later. brian