Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

Hi Albert,

I am well over it now and have been for over 50yrs. I still challenge bullies though, whenever I meet up with them. I do it with words and usually in front of their friends. The

red faces and blustering that they produce, prove their lack of courage. The most common reply is, "I was only joking."

Posting the above did serve a purpose though, I gave a copy to a person who did bully an 88yr old woman and she was the one that prompted me to post and unfortunately died a few months ago. Later on today I will delete the post.

HI BRo I dont think you should delete it at all.Sometime, someone might read that and learn a lesson,And then again someone of importance might read it and say sorry for all the trauma you kids endured.I have also thought of that rotten place most days of my life up to now,I have moved on to a certain extent ( as much as one can) BUT we will never forget.This is the first i knew of this,wasnt it enough in f.c.h.it also went on in the navy.Life is wonderful and we say thank you each time we wake up.Love Your Sister GlenXXX

Hi Albert,

I am well over it now and have been for over 50yrs. I still challenge bullies though, whenever I meet up with them. I do it with words and usually in front of their friends. The

red faces and blustering that they produce, prove their lack of courage. The most common reply is, "I was only joking."

Posting the above did serve a purpose though, I gave a copy to a person who did bully an 88yr old woman and she was the one that prompted me to post and unfortunately died a few months ago. Later on today I will delete the post.

Please Don't. It is part of the history of the homes. Someone, sometime will write about the homes and be pleased to be able to obtain first hand records that are written by those with actual experience and with no grudge to bear.

fulwood-cottage-homes.

does anyone remember 1952--may queen.

and may pole dancing and party----here are some names.

betty -birtles===the queen

jack --ashton====captain

sandra--jesney====train.

martin--jesney====bearer.

jackie--talbot=====coshion bearer.

good old days in homes and sports day on th big field,

i know a lot of happy kids in them homes.

i remember loads of kids with problems befor they moved in f.c.h.

some you couldnt do ow`t with.

i knew a lad that stabed a folk in house mother`s face, for know reason,

i , and many other lads witness this and it was very frighten`ing,

they rushed the house mother to the hospital -us some13 kids was to scared

to sleep, some kids cried and sceemed at bed time- i for one.

the superintendent had the lad moved from the house for good.

what a relieve to us all --that lad was a bully boy to us.

we were one happy family with a good house mother, i was in them homes

some 13years -i have seen a lot of things going on, and its half one-half other.

i still visit the homes in the summer on my country walks.

the homes are private bought and i get talking to the owners and they love to

hear the stories of f-c-homes----and i have the privilege to tell them.

happy--happy--days.

• 2 weeks later...
fulwood-cottage-homes.

does anyone remember 1952--may queen.

and may pole dancing and party----here are some names.

betty -birtles===the queen

jack --ashton====captain

sandra--jesney====train.

martin--jesney====bearer.

jackie--talbot=====coshion bearer.

good old days in homes and sports day on th big field,

i know a lot of happy kids in them homes.

i remember loads of kids with problems befor they moved in f.c.h.

some you couldnt do ow`t with.

i knew a lad that stabed a folk in house mother`s face, for know reason,

i , and many other lads witness this and it was very frighten`ing,

they rushed the house mother to the hospital -us some13 kids was to scared

to sleep, some kids cried and sceemed at bed time- i for one.

the superintendent had the lad moved from the house for good.

what a relieve to us all --that lad was a bully boy to us.

we were one happy family with a good house mother, i was in them homes

some 13years -i have seen a lot of things going on, and its half one-half other.

i still visit the homes in the summer on my country walks.

the homes are private bought and i get talking to the owners and they love to

hear the stories of f-c-homes----and i have the privilege to tell them.

happy--happy--days.

Which cottage were you in ?? must have been the only decent one in the whole place.Some of these ex f.c.h. went through real bad times,have you read all the threads ? I, for one was never allowed to play I had to work all the time.The only time i could play was when the witch was away for the weekend.I was bashed by the housemother and couldnt tell anyone or i would get it again. Happy Happy days my foot:rant:

Hi Guys. I hope we never let this f.c.h.thread die because for some of us its the only way to keep in touch with the kids we knew at that time.I for one love getting on the site and recently was able to communicate with someone that was very special to me then.I was really blown away by that and that is why its so important to keep it alive,I am at the other side of the world and thats why it is so important to me. be careful bresail :rant:

Hi Guys. I hope we never let this f.c.h.thread die because for some of us its the only way to keep in touch with the kids we knew at that time.I for one love getting on the site and recently was able to communicate with someone that was very special to me then.I was really blown away by that and that is why its so important to keep it alive,I am at the other side of the world and thats why it is so important to me. be careful bresail :rant:

Unfortunately, I haven't made contact with any of the kids that I knew in FCH (Cottage#9) and that's disappointing. Even though we might have little or nothing in common now it would be nice to hear from one or more of them. Those times - both good and bad - are surreal in my memory. I've given actual names before but I'll give some of them again in no particular order of preference.

Rosemary (Miss) Bower: House Mother

Ernest Hill

Roger Bradbury

George Archer

David Wales

Tony Wales

Derek Hibberd

Norman Maeltzer

Graham Hanson

Jimmy Pickering

Kenneth Bolton

If any of you happen to be on the forum, or should anyone recognize the names and know their whereabouts, please respond.

Hi all,

My mum and her younger sister were in fulwood cottages for two different periods of time probably in the early and mid fifty's, i loved hearing all about what they got up to, as she would tell me storys as i was growing up.

I've told her about this site and she's fascinated that people are still in touch with each other from then.

Unfortunately she's not computer friendly but i know that she would love to know if anyone remembers her and her sister,

my mums name was christine lee and her sisters was kathlene (or chris & kath).

Hi all,

My mum and her younger sister were in fulwood cottages for two different periods of time probably in the early and mid fifty's, i loved hearing all about what they got up to, as she would tell me storys as i was growing up.

I've told her about this site and she's fascinated that people are still in touch with each other from then.

Unfortunately she's not computer friendly but i know that she would love to know if anyone remembers her and her sister,

my mums name was christine lee and her sisters was kathlene (or chris & kath).

Hi Would you ask your mum what cottage she was in.I was there from 49-54 and in cottage 17,house mother Miss Barnett (yuk) Please buy her a cheap computer as she would enjoy f.c.h.site also the others.Who knows she may catch up with someone she knew there.You could teach her in no time,if i can learn ,anyone can.:hihi: