Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

I'm new to this forum and joined because my mum has some photos of when she worked there. She worked in the nursery with babies up to about 3 years old from about 1946 to 1948/9. Sometimes she took a child home with her on her weekend off. Some individual photos are of Sheila, Elizabeth, Terry, Christine, Brian and group photos with some of the staff, Miss Hattersley, Doris, Miss Brunt or Blunt, Mr and Mrs Hildreth. If anyone is interested in seeing these please drop me a line.

up to at least 1946 babies were not at fullwood but Thornset they came to fullwood at 3 my sister was there I visited once or twice but it was stopped because of war time petrol, being part of Fullwood my QUESS is that the Hildreths would also visit, looking back i must say didn't care to much for the Hildreths although not cruel themselves they had to have known what was going on with some of the more evil House mothers and just chose to keep a blind eye:mad::mad::mad:

• 2 weeks later...
Teachers' Orphanages were run by the Benevolent and Orphan Fund of the National Union of Teachers. They ran homes for the orphan girls of teachers. These were national rather than local orphanages but I don't quite know how they decided on Sheffield. Firs Hall [?Hill] opened in 1887, this was replaced by Page Hall in 1894, which was in turn replaced by Tapton Grange in 1927. Tapton Grange admitted boys too from about 1951. It closed in 1963.

My brother and I were at Tapton Grange Orphanage between 1961-63 until it's closure. Our mother had died in 1961 and our father (a teacher) was unable to care for us. I'd like to contact other children (or staff) who were there during that period. Any ideas? Many thanks.

--------------- hi cath,

is your doreen on forum, although i have mailed you in the past-

regards your gordon.

Would like ask her a few things.

Hope to here from you bye.

Sorry Brian only just seen this. No Doreen isn't on the forum but you can ask away and i can do my best to answer or try to find out for you. Might be best not to ask too much about Gordon though! xx

I'm new to this forum and joined because my mum has some photos of when she worked there. She worked in the nursery with babies up to about 3 years old from about 1946 to 1948/9. Sometimes she took a child home with her on her weekend off. Some individual photos are of Sheila, Elizabeth, Terry, Christine, Brian and group photos with some of the staff, Miss Hattersley, Doris, Miss Brunt or Blunt, Mr and Mrs Hildreth. If anyone is interested in seeing these please drop me a line.

Gill i would love info on your photos too to see if any of my family are featured xx

• 5 weeks later...

I'm sorry that it's taken so long to reply but I'm having problems uploading the photos and I've ran out of ideas on what to do. Must admit I'm not very computer friendly, but I'll keep trying.

----------------

hi gillx,

be off site a while, yes i would like to have a look at your

photo`s. Leave this with you to arrange

here from you soon, brian.

I new mr&mrs hildreth and many more staff.

Hi Brian, have you any suggestions as to how i can get these photos on here or to you for you to put them on. I've tried for ages but really haven't got a clue.

Gill

• 2 weeks later...
hi brian, have you any suggestions as to how i can get these photos on here or to you for you to put them on. I've tried for ages but really haven't got a clue.

Gill

------------

hi gillx,---- sorry i wished i knew as i have photo`s i`d like

to show, just a thought why not ask flyer he is in these threads

in here if you look.

Let me know if ever. Bye.

How to get pics on S.F, some tips are on S.F Photography groups i think u have basic to join Photobucket or something like that, doesn't sound to easy,I may have to get one of my great great grand kids on the job may the 5yr old should do