Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

HI YA sputnik, yes beattie roll was a run about helping in laundry room and taking

odds and ends around the home.

she use to always hang about at no1 house with miss edge.

miss edge talk a little funny as she had a air lip whatever you called it,

but beattie was dumb but not deaf and would lip read.

she was a character, got her picture to.

HI YA sputnik, yes beattie roll was a run about helping in laundry room and taking

odds and ends around the home.

she use to always hang about at no1 house with miss edge.

miss edge talk a little funny as she had a air lip whatever you called it,

but beattie was dumb but not deaf and would lip read.

she was a character, got her picture to.

Yes, now you bring it to my attention I do recall Beatie having a disability as in being hearing impaired or having a speech defect of some kind. If she wasn't deaf, however, why would she need to lip read? I'm wondering if she was initially a ward of the state who the hierarchy decided - because of her disability - to keep on at FCH when she became an adult ...?

What pictures do you have, Brian? I'd love to see them.

yes, now you bring it to my attention i do recall beatie having a disability as in being hearing impaired or having a speech defect of some kind. If she wasn't deaf, however, why would she need to lip read? I'm wondering if she was initially a ward of the state who the hierarchy decided - because of her disability - to keep on at fch when she became an adult ...?

What pictures do you have, brian? I'd love to see them.

---------

on the way ?

HI RODNEY,

mr hopkins was a bully and we kids called him bull dog - but not to his face

if you know what i mean.

mr broomhead was a gardner and he use to run about on that truck collecting

the bins, can you remember that.

Thanks for the photographs, Brian. I think I've located Miss Bower but I'm not sure.

Yes, I do recall Mr. Broomhead running around in his truck picking up the bins. He would drop in to Cottage #9 almost daily where Miss Bower would provide him with a snack or lunch. There was also a little old man who did janitor work or maintenance work of some kind. I can almost see him now but I don't recall his name.

Yes, of course I remember Mr Hopkins and his sour/angry disposition. He was generally in charge of us while we were waiting for the school buses to arrive. I can picture him now snapping orders at us. And yes, we too referred to him as 'Bulldog' ...behind his back, of course. I think he lived in a house a relatively short walk away from FCH on Blackbrook Road. We once saw Mr. Hopkins smile ...just once! One of the kids quipped that the effort it took for him to smile would surely have had to registered on the Richter Scale.

Hi RODNEY,

The men sat from left to right was --- mr broomhead in his younger yrs-

and (mr marshall) was odd job man working in stores and helping gardner among

other tasks,( mr crawford) made the odd appearance to the home at the office

he worked for the council in town.

next was (mr smith)-he worked in the stores, he married a member of staff and became

mr&mrs smith and took up residence at no10 house.

ps, i remember mr crawford taking holidays with us at redcar ymca camp every year,

he got a medel for saving a boys from drowning on the beach where the mothers

took us, i know i was on that beach at the time late 40s.

Back to the earlier thread regarding beatie i think i got it wrong about her hearing

could have sworn blind she could hear a bit after i back chattered her cus she

chase me down the path.

Hears a clue-- miss bower is stood three rows up, tell me.

Was anybody in house No 1 - Do you remember John Walker

IWAS IN #2 39-46 but my friend Unwin was in 1 for quite a while i forget who was in charge at that time but i know she carry on the beatings where millner (#3)left off:(:(

• 1 month later...

I have an old photograph of my dad from 12 December 1940 when he was at Nether Green School and he was almost 13 yrs old. He told me that 3 of the boys on the photo were lads from the Fulwood Cottage Home... Philip Stead, Fred White and Harry Harrington. 3 of the girls were from the Teachers Girls Orphanage at Tapton Grange ... Betty Hardy, Astrid James and Olga Spiers.

The photo was taken when the class received their Junior First Aid certificates and badges after training by St John's Ambulance men. Within a few hours of the photo being taken, the first bombs of the Sheffield Blitz fell. One of the girls in the photo, Renee St Clere (sp), was killed that night whilst visiting her grandmother in the city centre.