Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

Hi RODNEY,

The men sat from left to right was --- mr broomhead in his younger yrs-

and (mr marshall) was odd job man working in stores and helping gardner among

other tasks,( mr crawford) made the odd appearance to the home at the office

he worked for the council in town.

next was (mr smith)-he worked in the stores, he married a member of staff and became

mr&mrs smith and took up residence at no10 house.

ps, i remember mr crawford taking holidays with us at redcar ymca camp every year,

he got a medel for saving a boys from drowning on the beach where the mothers

took us, i know i was on that beach at the time late 40s.

Back to the earlier thread regarding beatie i think i got it wrong about her hearing

could have sworn blind she could hear a bit after i back chattered her cus she

chase me down the path.

Hears a clue-- miss bower is stood three rows up, tell me.

Sorry for the 2-month delay in responding, Brian. I think Miss Bower is 2nd on the left three rows up. I haven't seen her, either in real life or in a photograph, since 1955. It's almost creepy seeing all those people from our past who are almost certainly now dead.

I was amazed that the link, at the bottom, about the 1881 census showed all the names of staff and children. 453 residents! So many more than I ever imagined, even in those days.

I've been so interested to hear all the stories on here of varied experiences of FCH. Some stories are awful about the mistreatment you endured, but some seem to have quite pleasant memories. Thanks for sharing these.

I was amazed that the link, at the bottom, about the 1881 census showed all the names of staff and children. 453 residents! So many more than I ever imagined, even in those days.

I've been so interested to hear all the stories on here of varied experiences of FCH. Some stories are awful about the mistreatment you endured, but some seem to have quite pleasant memories. Thanks for sharing these.[/QUOTE]

I spent 2 or 3 'holidays' at FCH in the 1940's and enjoyed my time there. I know now that me and my 2 sisters were sent there when mum was having more babies. By the time I was born in 1941, mum had 5 children under 10. She had another one in 1943, so I must have been 2 when I first went there with my 2 sisters, yet I remember my time there quite clearly - I remember feeling quite outraged at being dressed by one of the assistants, when I was quite capable of dressing myself - LOL I think I was born bolshie! The 2nd time would have been when the next child was born in 1946, and I remember riding on the milk float around the cobbled central yard - although it is referred to as being grassed. (?) We sat between those great big galvanised milk churns.

I only found out about these 2 babies after researching my ancestry, the first one was adopted, and the other was a stillbirth. Perhaps mum just wanted us out of the way whilst all this was going on - very sad times for my mum. :-(

I've been so interested to hear all the stories on here of varied experiences of FCH. Some stories are awful about the mistreatment you endured, but some seem to have quite pleasant memories. Thanks for sharing these.[/QUOTE]

I spent 2 or 3 'holidays' at FCH in the 1940's and enjoyed my time there. I know now that me and my 2 sisters were sent there when mum was having more babies. By the time I was born in 1941, mum had 5 children under 10. She had another one in 1943, so I must have been 2 when I first went there with my 2 sisters, yet I remember my time there quite clearly - I remember feeling quite outraged at being dressed by one of the assistants, when I was quite capable of dressing myself - LOL I think I was born bolshie! The 2nd time would have been when the next child was born in 1946, and I remember riding on the milk float around the cobbled central yard - although it is referred to as being grassed. (?) We sat between those great big galvanised milk churns.

I only found out about these 2 babies after researching my ancestry, the first one was adopted, and the other was a stillbirth. Perhaps mum just wanted us out of the way whilst all this was going on - very sad times for my mum. :-(

-------------

Hi freda; 8548780,

I have many memories and one that always stays with me is football, i

had a football kit for a Christmas present in the late 1940s.

Befor my time in the orphanage football played an important part to

fulwood cottage homes, there was a big shield with badges round the

edges, it was the boys pride and joy.

Funny thing is when i left in the 50s i found other intrests and fell out

with football but did love kicking the ball about on the field with the boys.

PS, those happy faces.