Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

Hi sputnikboy, i forgot i'd already mentioned about the spot on her ckeek in

an earlier thread, that whats it like when were getting on hihihi.

I wanted to ask did you leave the homes in 1955.

Dates and times from back then are somewhat vague but mid to late 1955 sounds about right. By the way, I'm still interested in hearing of the whereabouts - or finding out what became - of the boys I spent so much time with in Cottage #9. Names that spring to mind are Graham Hanson (*my best buddy for a short time), Ernest Hill, Roger Bradbury, Derek Hibbert(d) and David and Tony Wales.

*One morning as we sat around the breakfast table with our eyes closed in prayer (yep, we prayed before meals) Miss Bower came up to me and whispered in my ear ..."You lost your best buddy last night." Those were her actual words that cut like a knife and I've never forgotten them. Apparently Graham (Graeme?) had either gone to live with his parent/s or had otherwise been fostered out the previous evening. No one seemed to have any prior knowledge of his leaving. I remember going through an actual grieving period. I missed my friend.

Edited by SputnikBoy

Hi Sputnikboy, I know how you feel i went through a situation like that, i knew at

some point i'd be leaving the homes but it was the crafty way it was done.

I got up for school, had breakfast and did my duties as normal with the lads, the mother

took me aside and said you'll not be going to school today, that was the last i saw of my

housemate schoolmates which they were when they went through the door.

Yer didn't dare ask questions cus yer wouldn't get an answer, the mother had me sat

on a chair while she was going through all the doors in the house, in my mind i kept

thinking why aren't i at school.

I remember the chiming clock on the wall striking up but not sure the actual time that

was when the house mother said put these clothes on.

She combed my hair and straighten my tie she then gave me a brown paper carrier bag

and said go to the office where you will meet by an member of staff.

I got to the office where i met my brother as we were leaving together, we were given

some bus fare and to meet up in town where our temporarily carers would be, we met

and they took us to Lowedges.

Yes, i never got to say goodbye to any of the boys i spent many years with, it was like

having a scar that never healed but i can still see them even now in thoughts.

Hi Sputnikboy,

If i saw any of these lads i would pass on your concern and hoping they'd get

intouch with you.

Around october last year i saw Ernest hill down hillsbrough with his what could

be his wife but it was a quick you see him then you dont if you know what i mean.

I do see his brother Ronnie sometimes in town and i mention to him i got a glance

of him.

Pity you were away from the forum so long, who knows your contact might have

got on its way with Ernest, havn't you thought anyone of these lads might be in Australia.

Wouldn't it be nice to bang into one of them or just a photo would help.

---------------

Hi flyer, can you tell me in them years you was in the homes where

did they take you on holiday.

ps, and i dont mean on med.

No never did but as i said before i seem to think things change very rapid after the war,one of the things i remember was going to my one and only movie (snow white) but this was only for kids whose parents had left them money the one's with no cash didnt get to go i still feel bad about that because i for one would have been glad to treat,all of my savings was gobbled up by some staff member so never did see the rest:mad::mad:

Hi ya flyer,

Yes that seems very spiteful, i use to go to school pantomimes but only

if it could be paid for, the mother delt with any cash i had which was from my allowance.

I'am not sure if it was- tuppence 2d or threp'ence 3d a week added to an allowance

sheet that was kept in the office.