Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

Hi flyer, When mr&mrs Hildreth retired in 1951, then mr&mrs Brook moved into

Fulwood homes as our new superintendent thing inproved.

We had friday night pictures and saturday nights dancing both in the Assembly hall,

and not forgetting the tuck shop friday evenings as i mentioned befor.

In the summer he would hand pick some older boys from other houses and go hiking

to Edale ymca camp.

On wednesday nights he would take a few lads swimming at glossop Rd baths, his wife

took the girls some other night, you might think we had some privileges, yes i enjoyed

them.

Seems to me you missed out on loads of thing, just remind me again what was the

years you was in.

I well remember the Friday night movies (and the Saturday night dances) in the hall. Occasionally they'd show a color movie but mostly, as you said previously, they were b&w. Every now and again they would show a western which would really excite us kids. All day the following day we'd be playing cowboys and really enjoying life. Sometimes the projector would break down and we'd have to return home feeling both disappointed and cheated. I remember seeing - and being very moved by - the Cary Grant, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Sam Jaffe movie Gunga Din. We kids were blowing bugles from the summits of golden towers and saving the troops from anihilation all the next day. Actually, we were pretty well always saving the world from 'baddies' now so long ago.

BTW ...did you get my email?

thanks flyer it did affect my dad really bad he did drink a lot and he was very strict with us but i can understan a bit better why he was like he was i still dont condone what he did when we was young but he changed alot as we grew up and he was a fantastic grandad well he has found the peace he was looking for and i do miss him

Yes it would seem that you go one way or anotherI was always accused of being to soft and never laid a hand of my kids ever, now my brother who was under the vile ms Milner in #3 and took a lot of head beatings had problems for a lot of his life,nowa complete hermit

my late husband was in the fulwood cottage homes alan whitehead in about 1945 1950s and so was his sister norma about 1950 they hated it ,she said they used to lock her in a cuboard all day for not eating the horrible porage

Up untill 45-46 we had dire warnings about crossing the green to the girls side my sister was in but never got to see her in 5 yrs, now Ms Bull who was our house witch had said we would catch a case of the viles if we talk to girls,I heard she got moved to the girls side I'm sort of hopeing she came down with it and died a very painful death:hihi::hihi::gag::gag:

-------------

Flyer you could have been in homes when i was in but then i dont know

your name, i went in during the 40s till 53/4.

what sort of jobs do you do around the house and was you ever made

to scrub the outside toilets at the front and the urinals round the back.

--------------

Well flyer, did you ever do any of these things mentioned.

Hi ya Brian1941,

The home my sister was at was definitely across town, she occasionally brought a small boy to our house, in S5, for tea. I believe. the home was only for very young children.

-----------

Hi alanMn, After my last mail to you regarding the home for smaller children there was a home on southly hill for young kids.

It didn't cross mine mind at the time but yes there was a home and my

half sister had a small boy in there, it was part of the scattered homes

orphanage when they was all moved out fulwood cottage homes to make way for the girls approved school and was renamed " Moorside"

PS, i lived on southely hill from 1970 well into the late 1980s and i passed

the home every day, and it was sheffield 5 and when i can think of

the name of the home i'll put it on thread.