Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

i was in fch for five to six years ,about 1955 to 1960.. i remember i was in cottage 23 with miss gaunt then a miss rimmer they were quite nice as it goes ...it was a mixed cottage too.....got a nasty one after them though cant remember her name though ......i did jobs before school jobs after school ....i went to lydgate lane school ...then western school by bus.....i.remember mr a mrs brookes........three years ago they held an reunion up there which it is a private housing estate now not many people turned up though.......it does stay with you for life ......anonimous

you're right it does stay with you for life,although i must say i'd completely brushed F.C H from my mind for 61yrs but once i'd scratched the surface the pain was still there,maybe i'm just getting old ,or the moral don't scratch it ,as mum use to say you don't know what':thumbsup: :thumbsup: s underneath

just thought of something,my daughter's having a good laugh at me when I told them about running back to F.C.H fm the little school in Fullwood village wearing our war time wood clogg's,( always good for a smack around the ear if we lost one of the metal cleat's) I seem to think we got real shoe's when we got sent to Greystone's around 43-4 anyone else remember wood clogg's

hi sputnik boy...im new on here so i still have to fathom out how to get the personal messages bit operating...i dont know your age but i,m 59...my brother and sister were in the homes longer than me ..i was fostered out about 1955 to a family in brightside..i didnt see either of those two again till i was about 17...by that time we were distant and to some degree we always were afterwards..you may probably remember my brother more than me...his name was kenneth taylor....my sister was carole taylor...she lived in the cottages opposite the playing fields at the bottom near the clinic...other people i remember were edward archer (winnie edge hated this poor lad more than anybody and she beat him mercilessly..i will never know why)..sidney archer9his brother)...leslie bolton(a nice lad who delighted in telling everybody he met he came from rothay road)..gordon gower(he died a few months ago.. i saw it in the paper)...another thing i always remember...when we were playing on the swings and we looked across the valley we could see a big building which for some reason we all thought was fulwood annexe..its actually high storrs school...i often go up there and reminisce ..mixed feelings ...some of the worst times of my life and a lot of worry at an age when i should never have known the meaning of it..but in a strange way fondly remembered

I just can't recall the name Kenneth Taylor, anlaby, and I really wish I could. Nor carol, for that matter. My sister - and occasonal forum user - Glen may be more acquainted wth them but I'm not sure where she is these days. Glen, where are you?

I don't know the people to which you refer above but they are no doubt related to a couple of boys who were in Cottage #9 with me. One was George Archer and the other was Kenneth Bolton. There was also a Derek Hibberd(t) and an Albert Copeland who just appeared in my mind. The name Gordon Gower absolutely rings a bell but I'm not sure why. It's a tho' that name belongs to someone famous.

Though not all necessarily friends, those who seemed to play a big part in my life during my tenure at FCH were Ernest Hill, Roger Brabury, Tony & David Wales, Graham Hanson, John Kerry, Norman Maeltzer, and Jimmy Pickering ...an older boy of about 16.

i can remember a few names of children in fch does anybody else like......freddie taylor....jennifer butler......lorraine king......paul moon.......micheal jackson(not the)......doreen wyndam.....dennis butler.......just to name a few.............catch ya laters

i can remember a few names of children in fch does anybody else like......freddie taylor....jennifer butler......lorraine king......paul moon.......micheal jackson(not the)......doreen wyndam.....dennis butler.......just to name a few.............catch ya laters
i knew a paul moon...but not from when i was in fch....paul lived on tyler street at the junction with tipton street....last time i saw him he was living on lingfoot crescent at jordanthorpe.......he was a good lad.... i wonder if its the same one

A friend of my mother was housed and educated at Fulwood Cottage Homes along with his sister who was a house mother, he will be around 80 now, his name is Reg Layberry.

During the 40s there was a couple of young men worked around the home's i remember one working in the garden's and another a very nice lad worked in repair shop he was the one that would nail on the metal cleat's when they came off our wood clog's ,but this is a first on S.F never befor as anyone admitted to knowing a housemother as they was a very nasty and evil bunch for the most part,but to be fair there was a rumour going around that maybe one or two were kind caring soul's but just a rumour.

Sputnic I am here still sitting in my little chair thinking about that horrible place.I do remember alot of those names and many more not mentioned who were there at the same time.Frank Skinner,Brian Ali, Terry Battle,Janet Bradbury and her sister.as sputnic said i was in stalag 17 opposite the swings.I dont think that any one of those so called foster mothers were nice.the one in question in number one reminded me of a STOAT with a bowel problem.I havent been on the forum for a while,its like i need to keep coming back to f.c.h.thread,maybe its slowly coming out of my system after all these years.