Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

• 2 weeks later...
Well done, Brian. There are quite a few names on your list who were not in my cottage that I'd forgotten. Georgie Archer was in my cottage (#9). So too was Graham Hanson who was my best friend up until his leaving. Tony Wales was also in #9. David, his brother, finished up in #9 for a little while though I have a feeling he was housed elsewhere previously. Jimmy Pickering was an older boy but he finished up in #9 for a brief period for some reason or other. At times he was allowed to take off for the weekend on his own. I recall the evening that he came 'home' and told us about the Charles Chaplin movie Limelight that he'd seen over the weekend.

By the way, the Malcolm whose last name I couldn't recall previously is Malcolm Bragger. He isn't on your list. You say that John Kerry is quite sick? While it's difficult to imagine ANY of those boys as being anything else but 'young' in my memory I guess most of them would now be in their late 60's/early to mid 70's. Except for me, of course, who is still the same. :D

----------------------------

Hi sputnikboy, Have added more boys names to my list and put a load

of girls names underneath ( same thread ) :thumbsup:

----------------------------

Hi sputnikboy, Have added more boys names to my list and put a load

of girls names underneath ( same thread ) :thumbsup:

Good going, Brian. Quite a few of the names on the list ring a bell but I just can't place some of them. It's frustrating! By the way, sorry if I misled you but Malcolm Bragger wasn't in Cottage #9. I don't remember which cottage he was in but he was not in mine. Glenda Fearnehough was in Cottage #17 under the kind, gentle, caring 'mother-ship' of Miss Barnett. :D Glenda will tell a different story if she revisits the forum! Also, Rex Fearnehough was in Cottage #8. Miss Humphreys was his house-mother and, from what I recall, he and the other boys got along quite well with her.

Thanks for the recent email and contents!

Good going, Brian. Quite a few of the names on the list ring a bell but I just can't place some of them. It's frustrating! By the way, sorry if I misled you but Malcolm Bragger wasn't in Cottage #9. I don't remember which cottage he was in but he was not in mine. Glenda Fearnehough was in Cottage #17 under the kind, gentle, caring 'mother-ship' of Miss Barnett. :D Glenda will tell a different story if she revisits the forum! Also, Rex Fearnehough was in Cottage #8. Miss Humphreys was his house-mother and, from what I recall, he and the other boys got along quite well with her.

Thanks for the recent email and contents!

Hi ya do Rodney, I will sort out them names and numbers out.

Do you remember when i asked where you lived when you left the homes,

crookes was mentioned, i had some friends that lived in Tyone St not far

from Crookes Workingmens Club.

Did you ever go in the club which is still up and running, i made the odd

visit there.

hi i know the childrens home on southey hill i was in there from 1983 up til i was 16 it was called north hill childrens home x there was also one near moonshine lane called everingham rd ,cherry tree ,todwick,lydgate lane there was quite a few

Edited by jo mathews

Hi ya do Rodney, I will sort out them names and numbers out.

Do you remember when i asked where you lived when you left the homes,

crookes was mentioned, i had some friends that lived in Tyone St not far

from Crookes Workingmens Club.

Did you ever go in the club which is still up and running, i made the odd

visit there.

After leaving FCH at about the age of (I think) 13 I went to live with my mother and young sister in a large house on Conduit Road, Crookes. Though we had a room at the rear of the house and attic bedrooms we actually shared the amenities with several other people. That house is still there and looks exactly the same as I remember it ...thanks to Google having recently allowed me to view it.

Actually, I used to hang around with Skippy (as per this forum) on occasions (Hi Skippy!) up until moving to a new council house at Gleadless Valley. I hadn't yet left school (Crookes Endowed) when all of this took place. By the age of 18 I/we (mom, Elaine and I) were on the other side of the world in Melbourne, Australia. So, no ...since I remained underage during my tenure in Sheffield there were no clubs.

I much later finished up in the U.S. (Chanute, Kansas) for a number of years where I married an Oregon gal and became stepdad to her 5 year-old son. I'm now permanently situated in Townsville (Australia) where early this morning (20 March 2012) we had a mini-cyclone rip through the area causing extensive damage. Even in Kansas (as per the Wizard of Oz) I never experienced anything like this!

As a correction to my above post ...we (in Townsville) had a mini-TORNADO (not a cyclone) tear through the area yesterday morning which demolished and severely damaged a number of homes. This event made national news and the affected area has been considered a disaster zone. My reference to the Wizard Of Oz (and consequently Kansas where I previously resided) wouldn't have made any sense UNLESS it had been a tornado ...which it was. This was a most unusual (freak) event since this area NEVER has twisters but IS prone to destructive cyclones this time of the year.