Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

hildreth was a bit before my time though ...i remember brooks...nice bloke but he enjoyed the quiet life too much to see what ws going on around him.....i was with the dreaded winnie edge in 1...i remember when i saw the wizard of oz and saw the wicked witch of the west ...she would have been winnies double if she had had a hare lip...always remember seeing winnies obituary in the star a few years back....some well meaning though unknowledgable person wrote " a life given to the children of sheffield" it still makes me laugh evem now...loved those seaside trips though .bet none of us would have seen any of that had it not been for the efforts of charity raisers

---------- Post added 07-12-2012 at 19:39 ----------

ahh got the photo but not a scene i remember...though memory fades

hildreth was a bit before my time though ...i remember brooks...nice bloke but he enjoyed the quiet life too much to see what ws going on around him.....i was with the dreaded winnie edge in 1...i remember when i saw the wizard of oz and saw the wicked witch of the west ...she would have been winnies double if she had had a hare lip...always remember seeing winnies obituary in the star a few years back....some well meaning though unknowledgable person wrote " a life given to the children of sheffield" it still makes me laugh evem now...loved those seaside trips though .bet none of us would have seen any of that had it not been for the efforts of charity raisers

-----------------------------

Hi Gladwell, i sent a picture on the 5th few threads up,

it was of all the staff, can you tell me if it shown up.

i sent it to Flyer. cheers.:help:

---------- Post added 07-12-2012 at 19:41 ----------

---------- Post added 07-12-2012 at 19:39 ----------

ahh got the photo but not a scene i remember...though memory fades

-------------------

Its the wooden hut, can you remember inside there were bunk beds.

went up to bamburgh castle this year....on the way back i thought i,d drive up to marske and see if i could find the ymca....but didnt have time cos mycompatriots wanted to go to beamish instead....ive spent hours lookng at google earth but i cant find it...yet the memrory is so vivid...all the stalag huts ...cricky matches on tht field etc....i wonder if its been built on

---------- Post added 07-12-2012 at 19:44 ----------

ok brian...i,ll take a look a bit later on...i,m getting ready tp go out

---------- Post added 07-12-2012 at 19:45 ----------

yep...remember the beds...main thing i remember was the freedom and those great people wholooked after us there

---------- Post added 07-12-2012 at 19:47 ----------

where did you get the photo from...i went down to the archives in sheffild but thy wouldnt give me anything...apart from the usual nonsense about data protection...

went up to bamburgh castle this year....on the way back i thought i,d drive up to marske and see if i could find the ymca....but didnt have time cos mycompatriots wanted to go to beamish instead....ive spent hours lookng at google earth but i cant find it...yet the memrory is so vivid...all the stalag huts ...cricky matches on tht field etc....i wonder if its been built on

---------- Post added 07-12-2012 at 19:44 ----------

ok brian...i,ll take a look a bit later on...i,m getting ready tp go out

--------------

been to beamish love it for the trams.

-------------

I dont think you will find it on map, i went in the 80s and the huts

had been knocked down, whats left on the field is the farm in

the corner, do you remember that.

--------------

been to beamish love it for the trams.

-------------

I dont think you will find it on map, i went in the 80s and the huts

had been knocked down, whats left on the field is the farm in

the corner, do you remember that.

Hi mr B between my computer and S.F acting up my replys are all over the place.

Bull was still in #2 1946 V.J day when I left and Milner was in #3 both in there for the whole 6 years i was in .:):):)

Not heard from you in a while hope things are still well ,Your very very old pal A.C

---------------

Hiya mi old stick in the mud,

Flyer, can you tell me if the picture got through to you of

the staff in the homes, was sent on 5th this wed.

Look back on number 826, got feeling it didn't work. cheers.

[/color]

Not heard from you in a while hope things are still well ,Your very very old pal A.C

------------------------

Hi flyer, hope your problems are over with the computer,

i am sending this picture wasn't sure if it turned out ok the

last time. :

Edited by brian1941

Does anybody have any information about orphanages within the Sheffield area, dating back over that last 100 years.

I am doing some private study and would be interested in any information.

the two childrens homes not mentioned are "the grove" just off ecclesall road i stayed there for one night before being moved to "stradbrooke childrens home" on stradbrooke drive, stradbrooke, i was there for 8 years in the early fifties, the "home" was ran by MR & MRS SMITH, they had 2 daughters called heather & julie, "MISS BOOT" (daughter of henry boots & sons) our house cleaner was "MRS FLETCHER" who lived next door to the home, the only other children there i remember were "BILLY WRIGHT" & "VINCENT ROGAN" i stayed in the home until i was 15 years old, then i was sent down south to "WALLINGFORD TRAINING SCHOOL" until i reach my 18th birthday, then i was releast from councils care.

There were one or two private homes who cared for young people including orphans.

Their purpose was to educate and give training for youngsters so they could find work.

I know of two but I should think there were more in and around Sheffield.

One was the House of Help in Paradise Square and another was the Sheffield Boys Home in Broomspring Lane.

Some members of my family lived in both of these places.

Happy Days???? PopT

Hi mr B between my computer and S.F acting up my replys are all over the place.

Bull was still in #2 1946 V.J day when I left and Milner was in #3 both in there for the whole 6 years i was in .:):):)

----------------------

Hiya flyer, Did you sort out your computer, just thought i'd

drop you a line and how are you.

Have you any snow yet and could you be out sledging this holiday.

Anyway have a good Christmas dont drink to much, brian,:partyhat: