Children's homes or orphanages in Sheffield

The Little Sisters of the Poor ran a Catholic orphanage on Heeley Bank Road. Since 1971 though, the site has been accommodation for a housing association.

Do a search on SF, as someone was researching this place a few months ago.

Sisters of the Poor says it all, it wasn't an orphanage.

• 3 weeks later...
Now 90% blind in light so computer is out for the mosr part daughter as fixed me up with extra large text but typing by guess and by God, my wife now does all the driving and now thats scary

-------------------------

Hiya Flyer, read your mail and was going to ask about yours eyes,

i suppose when they get back to normal we can play hide and seek.

:hihi::hihi:

came back on this thead as you didn't give me feedback on the

picture i sent you further back no 687 regards Roy LINLEY.

Tell me what you think. bye.

---------

Hi ya flyer, The name above Adrian Clarke is this your name.

yes, yes & yes

---------- Post added 30-04-2013 at 12:58 ----------

-------------------------

Hiya Flyer, read your mail and was going to ask about yours eyes,

i suppose when they get back to normal we can play hide and seek.

:hihi::hihi:

came back on this thead as you didn't give me feedback on the

picture i sent you further back no 687 regards Roy LINLEY.

Tell me what you think. bye.

687 is posted by Freshia??

---------- Post added 30-04-2013 at 13:29 ----------

yes, yes & yes

howabout # 737ish I was thinking my buddy Turner??may still have been in #6 in your time must have been one of the olderboys,& if Irecall roy L did have slight olive skin but thinking his brother was fair??maybe:confused::confused:

---------- Post added 02-05-2013 at 09:58 ----------

yes, yes & yes

---------- Post added 30-04-2013 at 13:29 ----------

howabout # 737ish I was thinking my buddy Turner??may still have been in #6 in your time must have been one of the olderboys,& if Irecall roy L did have slight olive skin but thinking his brother was fair??maybe:confused::confused:

up untill about 44 all fullwood kids was at Fullwood school so made a lot of friends from other houses,on closing i think the bulk went to Pomona(is spelling right)and maybe (guess) Greystone's took one bus load,Greystone's was a great place but on the move must have lost contact with some of the other house's:(:(

Hi flyer, This is the picture of david unwin, no2 house at

miss Royston, David is on middle row on end at right.

You can see by the arrow. i hope it shows up as i have

been having problems lately getting them on here.

Hope yer ok. :|:|

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/MissRoystonandtheboysfromnumber2_zpsbb162a03.jpg

Sorry brian photobucket is sending me round in circles cant make head nor tail of it BUT it must be me

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry brian photobucket is sending me round in circles cant make head nor tail of it BUT it must be me

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Imfirmraryrd2013012_zps592f1b0e.jpg

Hiya Mate, You'll proberly remember Freds dance hall upstairs from

the 1960, lets twist again nights, good nights in there.

I is on Infirmrary rd on corner of Wood st, not sure if the building

is let of as flats above but downstairs on the front its a dancing School.

------------ :thumbsup:

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Imfirmraryrd2013012_zps592f1b0e.jpg

No left Sheffield at 11 i seem to remember my first dance I went to was at nearly 18 and in the army no shoes only big clob hopper boots so no dance only stood and watched never much of a dancer:D:D

There was a children's home on Littledale Estate, next to the shops, opposite Acres Hill Junior School. Occasionally there were problems with some of the "inmates" and there was an unwritten rule for kids living on the estate that, when they walked past, they didn't look in the windows of the home! :(

• 6 months later...
hi there, the name of the home was lane end childrens home, at any one time there was around 32 kids in there, i was there with my brother & sister, up to it shutting i was the longest serving there , i had a break wen i was 12 yrs old, only lasted around 12 months then foster home got fed up with me , i had served my purpose so back i went , i did a 13yrs sentance in there , & wat you said about it looking grim from the out side , life was grim inside , all we sempt to do was clean & sleep, if weather was fine half hour play in yard on school days , bed at 5,30 , weekend few hrs in garden after a lot of work, bed at 6, i thought my self after all the years trying i wud have found some body who lived there but will keep trying , ok then thanks for reply, just got back from a long walk , dunt no wat the weather is doing over shef but raining side ways here , wish i was still on hols in florida 100 degs over there !!!!, cheers

Hi smack I was in lane end at the same time as you my name is Charles rodwell

Edited by Crod
Spelt name wrong

tried once again to log on to photobucket no luck have to wait untill my daughter comes down ,she the computer expert

---------- Post added 30-12-2013 at 18:34 ----------

There was a children's home on Littledale Estate, next to the shops, opposite Acres Hill Junior School. Occasionally there were problems with some of the "inmates" and there was an unwritten rule for kids living on the estate that, when they walked past, they didn't look in the windows of the home! :(

Haven't the fainest idea where because we just may have been on the move from Doncaster to Sheffield but think Penistone rd ,in the days pre 40s when a lot of kids was put in temp' care while mum was having the next baby think i was about 3 must have pooped the bed because remember being gathered up with sheets and all and dumped into a bath of ice cold water my head being pushed under until i almost drown ,That'll teach the little not to poop the bed