Heard of something called The Hash House Harriers?

artstower

Anybody heard of something called The Hash House Harriers?

Apparently the aim of a Hash event is to run, jog (or crawl) as a group

around various pubs, following chalk arrows on the pavement that lead to the next watering hole.

I think we should all organise a Hash run in Sheffield, all that's needed is a stick of chalk and 10 to 30 people.

Check it out.

Seems pretty cool.

Any views?

I used to be a hash house harrier when i lived out in Cyprus. It was absolutely fantastic because we had people of all shapes, sizes, ages and levels of fitness.

Each week a hare would go out with a bag of flour and lay a trail. This would include dead ends, long and short runs and so on.

We would pay a small subscription fee and at the end of the run, everyone would gather for a few drinks and make any announcements about birthdays, stupid stunts and so on. If you were the subject of attention, you had to drink your drink in ten seconds, and if not, the rest of it went on your head!

Afterwards, we would all frequent a local restaurant and spend the night eating and drinking.

Sheffield Hash House Harriers are bound to be a bit different because we don't have the same sunshine here as there is in Cyprus. However, my memory of Hashing is very good and i would highly recommend that you get involved...would be good if you could post the details on here because i might be tempted to join you!;)

Just read a piece on this in a cycling magazine...it's a growing trend among mountain biking circles apparently. Sounds like good fun, following the trail and then ending up at the bar with a plentiful supply of beer. The beer sounds great, not sure legs are up to he cycling.....must get the bike on the road again now the nights are getting longer.

maybe some stabilisers too! my sense of balance is pretty good when sober.... dunno about after a few pints!

being practical, a chain and a fence/ lamp post would be the solution, then pick up the bike at a later time. or have a friend with a bike carrying device attached to their car and a sworn statement that they won't be drinking.

or maybe i am thinking about the details too much?!

Next Monday we are running from 'The Carlton' on Attercliffe Road, we meet up at 7.30pm in the carpark for a 7.45 start and usually finish at around 9.15pm after running, jogging and walking around 4-5miles, and then get into the pub for a few drinks.

Although no night is ideal for everyone, you can get over the weekends excess by going hashing on a Monday night. We Hash all over Sheffield and Northern Peak District, the last few weeks have been in Loxley, Rivelin, Ladybower and Hillsborough.

To read about what hashers get up to have a look at 'what all this about' at http://www.hhh.org.uk

All newbies of any ability & age are always really welcomed. I'll keep an eye on this thread and answer any other questions you put my way.

Archived