Non refundable house 'application'.

How much do they charge in management fees roughly?

Depends on the agent, the larger ones will be a number of months rent.

Often the service provided is very below par, they also like to add on a management fee if they have to actually do something like organise a repair job.

---------- Post added 18-12-2014 at 17:31 ----------

Do you think this is right, a private housing app which is non-refundable?

If people are willing to pay it then thats that unfortunately.

You'll find the smaller independent agents are much better, they don't charge you the earth and actually are there to help you out when you need it.

I wouldn't even consider a place let by one of the larger firms anymore, it's just not worth the bother.

There's plenty of choice out there.

Whats annoying is there is money on the table. But i'm having to gather documentation from all sorts of areas, previous references on multiple properties, access to credit files (not instant have to wait for key in post) which could take until JAN before I can start the application which takes a further 7 days.

What could happen between now and then is someone else has the docs and takes the property. The agent won't do sh*t to help me secure the property.

Really frustrating situation. Not happy today :(

It cost around £15 to credit check someone... The rest is profit,.. When I've rented in the past every house I've ever had is via post office/newsagent windows ... Never paid anything other than the bond and rent upfront,never had a

Problem and generally £50 a month cheaper than going via the agents.

It cost around £15 to credit check someone... The rest is profit,.. When I've rented in the past every house I've ever had is via post office/newsagent windows ... Never paid anything other than the bond and rent upfront,never had a

Been looking so long for something that ticks the boxes that I dont really care about the extra cost.

Most charge £50 this covers admin fees and credit check etc, if they are asking for an ammount like £200, it's way too much, and I would expect that to be refunded if you get accepted for the property (or at least deducted from first months rent)

Most charge £50 this covers admin fees and credit check etc, if they are asking for an ammount like £200, it's way too much, and I would expect that to be refunded if you get accepted for the property (or at least deducted from first months rent)

They keep the £200. On top of that 6 weeks deposit. Not cheap.

Before you hand over any money to an agent for non-refundable 'fees' you need to ask to see in writing exactly what that fee is for. It should be referred to as a 'holding deposit' and mean that the agent will stop marketing the property until the reference checks on you are complete, and that you will not just walk away and leave them in the lurch.

If you have signed something (without reading it) to say that the agent can keep your £200 whether or not you are offered the tenancy, then more fool you, I'm afraid.

'

If you do them in bulk. Costs more to do them if it's infrequent.

---------- Post added 18-12-2014 at 22:25 ----------

How much do they charge in management fees roughly?

15% is a common figure. Of the monthly rent.