Why on earth are the 'government' advertising 'superfast broadband'??

I've wonder this for a few days now. I keep seeing adverts on the TV for 'superfast broadband'...Advertised by none other than the government!

Why?

Yes I know they have made various promises, and maybe set targets to get everyone 'hooked up'...But surely you're constrained by broadband providers? Not the sodding government. You're stuck with whatever your locality can provide, and that may not be 'superfast' (what's the definition of that anyway?)

Maybe I'm missing something (probably)...But WHY???

They simply can't find enough to spend our hard earned taxes on....

As I understand it the funding comes from 'top slicing' the TV licence fee

The money will come from existing TV licence fee funds, and it’s expected that it will be match funded locally to

bring the total extra public investment to £500 million.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/14-million-more-premises-to-get-superfast-broadband-after-250-million-capital-investment

You mean like the railways?, hospitals?, highways? etc.

Yes. Exactly.

---------- Post added 22-12-2014 at 16:15 ----------

You mean like the railways?, hospitals?, highways? etc.

Sorry. Just re-read this when I wasn't in a blazing hurry, but although,yes,it should apply to railways, as far as I know highway maintenance and the NHS have not been privatised , although I fear the NHS is heading that way.

Edited by spilldig