Saver or spender?

I use a credit card which I pay off every month. Nothing wrong with credit if it's managed correctly.

(And I'd guess that a lot of people who are criticising credit have or have had mortgages).

Old habits die hard........

When I was working I had a company car. It was my responsibility to pay for fuel and claim back via expenses at the month end.

That could be a large sum!

Hence.....me obtaining a credit card.

That habit remains.

All car expenses (fuel, tax, insurance, etc) are paid on the card.

Also,paid off every month.

Ow't else is cash.

Saving?

Does loose change count?

You can save no matter how little your income is, if you save a £1 a week in a year you have £52 I have always saved even if it was only a small amount and now a pensioner still save. I started saving when I took papers in the 50s and still do so now and when we have enough book a holiday and I save £2 coins and fifty pence bits for Christmas, it is not how much income you have it is what you do with it.

No you can't, not everyone's situation is the same. That's the end of it

No you can't, not everyone's situation is the same. That's the end of it

No such thing as can't.

Its tough to save on negative income. However, there are always opportunities to spend less.

I read a book called the moneyless man, where a bloke didnt spend a penny in 1 year!

I heard of one guy who worked in a university, who did a test to see if he could eat for free for 1 month. He did it by eating the leftovers of corporate events and buffets on campus.

Shop Aldi toothpaste not tesco etc. stop drinking so much and don't smoke. If you want to save money badly you find a way. It's just that some people are not willing to get off their ass and make it happen.

I would say that in the majority of cases where a person wants to have more money available, their first (and often only thoughts) are how & where can I get more money from. Such as overtime, a second job like a few hours per week, or selling some of their stuff.

I would say that only a minority consider spending less to achieve their goal.

No such thing as can't.

Its tough to save on negative income. However, there are always opportunities to spend less.

I read a book called the moneyless man, where a bloke didnt spend a penny in 1 year!

I heard of one guy who worked in a university, who did a test to see if he could eat for free for 1 month. He did it by eating the leftovers of corporate events and buffets on campus.

Shop Aldi toothpaste not tesco etc. stop drinking so much and don't smoke. If you want to save money badly you find a way. It's just that some people are not willing to get off their ass and make it happen.

Fiction?.........

Fiction?.........

True.

---------- Post added 21-12-2014 at 11:58 ----------

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1851687874/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1419162973&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=516FfPAc8eL&ref=plSrch

---------- Post added 21-12-2014 at 11:59 ----------

Freeconomics. Sounds alright that.

---------- Post added 21-12-2014 at 12:03 ----------

I would say that in the majority of cases where a person wants to have more money available, their first (and often only thoughts) are how & where can I get more money from. Such as overtime, a second job like a few hours per week, or selling some of their stuff.

I would say that only a minority consider spending less to achieve their goal.

Loads of ways to make extra cash. Especially with the net. Likewise spending. Check out martin lewis site for example.

When I was young we were taught "Never a Lender or Borrower be " and people often cashed in insurance policies to pay for major events such as a son or daughter's wedding.

Times have changed dramatically but the habit of saving is deeply ingrained in many people because things had to be saved up for in years gone bye.

With interest rates so ludicrously low these days it makes one wonder if it is better to spend what you can afford on things that you desire.

When I was young we were taught "Never a Lender or Borrower be " and people often cashed in insurance policies to pay for major events such as a son or daughter's wedding.

Times have changed dramatically but the habit of saving is deeply ingrained in many people because things had to be saved up for in years gone bye.

With interest rates so ludicrously low these days it makes one wonder if it is better to spend what you can afford on things that you desire.

Herein lies the issue with credit.

A few years ago I got a credit card on ok terms, a few months later when I had a less than healthy balance they sent a letter out about raising interest rate 5%. Apparently it was in the T&C's.

The problem with lending is they offer you loads of credit when you don't actually need it. When you really need it, they raise the interest or deny access which can put you right up s@it creek.

So the old timers were right. Neither a borrower or a lender be! (unless you are a bank then you do alright from this equation).

Like some others, I use a credit card that gets cleared monthly. I get the benefits without accruing any interest. We're on fairly low pensions, so how we manage our spending is important. Our biggest saving by far is not smoking. We were, like our parents, smokers. When my mother died twenty + years ago I stopped and my OH stopped soon afterwards. I reckon that's made our lives much more comfortable financially. It would be costing us around £90 a week for the cigs of our choice if we still had the habit. That's our food and heating more or less covered!

I try and save £2 coins, but I emptied out the cache for Christmas, so will have to start again in the New Year.