Is it time to reduce drink drive limits?

This whole debate, I thought, had already been settled.

- if there's been research done on alcohol levels in blood, old alcohol versus new alcohol, general driver competence versus drunk competence is arcane and not so interesting or relevant.

The original historic moves to breathalysing drivers had a positive effect on KSI stats as did seatbelt law, speed limit reductions from "No Speed Limit".

Prior to these three changes in law, +/- 8000 died on our roads in 1966.

2013 saw 1713 deaths.

The move to reduce the alcohol limit comes inevitably from the fact that here in the UK we had the highest limit in Europe. Scotland has broken ranks and the rest of the country waits for Parliament to get off its hands - it took 13 years to pass seatbelt law so it may be a while.

Driver competence levels are well-worth tackling (I'm partial to that) but alcohol doesn't improve whatever level any individual driver can count on. (We must be able to agree on that?) Reducing the limit may be worth a punt.

I wouldn't know about any improvement in motor skills. Motor skills (or lack of them) at the steering wheel are not what keep us safe on the road. Instead, it's mental skills and attitude that do that for us. I trust we can agree on what alcohol does to these.

Merry Xmas, by the way!

Sweden has an alcohol limit of 1\4 the UK, getting caught means jail. It has lower speed limits, It has 1/8 the cars per mile of road. It has far better roads. They have to have their lights on all the time. Yet they have a higher road accident death rate!

Happy Christmas!

You can substantiate this claim with figures?

'Cos that is not my understanding ...

Sweden has an alcohol limit of 1\4 the UK, getting caught means jail. It has lower speed limits, It has 1/8 the cars per mile of road. It has far better roads. They have to have their lights on all the time. Yet they have a higher road accident death rate!

Happy Christmas!

That's probably because they have a lot less population than us

You can substantiate this claim with figures?

'Cos that is not my understanding ...

No. You are right, I'm wrong. According to the economist Sweden has the safest roads in the world, less than 300 killed there on the latest yearly figures, link attached.

Interestingly they design their roads for safety.

We just tarmacked over cart tracks and called them roads. OK if you are driving a horse and cart, but not for a car.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/02/economist-explains-16

Edited by Harrystottle