Is it time to reduce drink drive limits?

Personally I don’t care who says what. What I do know, I don’t drink and drive, I don’t smoke in the car with kids. Always have always will. It would be cool if others did as I do.!

---------- Post added 21-12-2014 at 00:46 ----------

Good to see experts telling us things in case we don't get it :)

That’s the problem, drink driving, talking on the phone etc>>> Do we all get it?!?

Personally I don’t care who says what. What I do know, I don’t drink and drive, I don’t smoke in the car with kids. Always have always will. It would be cool if others did as I do.!

---------- Post added 21-12-2014 at 00:46 ----------

That’s the problem, drink driving, talking on the phone etc>>> Do we all get it?!?

Either you don't seem to have got what I wrote, or I shouldn't have used a 'smile smiley' to indicate my sarcastic remark.

Edited by *_ash_*

the law is there to protect people and if people think that drink driving is ok and they are untouchable then go ahead but if you get caught or even cause an accident or god forbid you kill someone then i hope they throw the book at you, i drink soft drinks as i know im driving and if i get pulled over then i know im ok & i have no problem having soft drinks, i just wish some people think first but then again the LAW isnt that strong enough and if you get caught drink driving then its no excuse BANNED FROM DRIVING FOR LIFE no ifs or buts thats it get a grip and take responsibilities as a driver and not a killer. The law needs to be stronger and have a good and safe christmas everyone

Pete, you're a scientist - if had just brushed my teeth, used mouthwash (maybe swallowed a bit?)am I likely to fail a zero tolerance breath test?

I'm not an expert in breath alcohol analysis but my understanding is that having a chocolate with alcohol in, alcohol mouthwash, or carb free diets can all mean a failure in a zero tolerance breath test. I think the blood test is different but it would waste a lot of police time.

You wouldn't be over 30 by any chance? :hihi:

Well only just, but I was actually basing it on this:

There were no significant reductions in deaths or injuries among the

population as a whole when other concurrent policies and infrastructure

quality were taken into account.

So the evidence shows that it's mainly young men where the policy will have an impact on road deaths/injuries.

So last night I had a couple of glasses if wine, this morning I feel fine. But if the legal limit was zero how would I know when I'm okay to drive again? When is my body going to be completely free of alcohol? I don't understand the big need to change the law on this, Personally if I've got the car I'll have a soft drink anyway but I'd be concerned about the morning after.

Its fine as it is. 0 isn't necessary. Scotland's level would be OK though.

The real problem remains people who drive after a skinfull.

Someone having used mouthwash or half a pint isn't going to be a danger behind the wheel.

That was my immediate reaction too. But NICE did a report on this in 2010 which I can't link directly to atm. But you can Google it.

"Review of effectiveness of laws limiting blood alcohol

concentration levels to reduce alcohol-related road

injuries and deaths

Centre for Public Health Excellence NICE"

It says that there is a problem between the current level and the proposed lower level:

Drink-driving and the risk of a road traffic accident

There is strong evidence that someone’s ability to drive is affected if they have

any alcohol in their blood. Drivers with a BAC of between 0.02 and 0.05 have

at least a three times greater risk of dying in a vehicle crash. This risk

increases to at least six times with a BAC between 0.05 and 0.08, and to 11

times with a BAC between 0.08 and 0.10.

Studies consistently demonstrate that the risk of having an accident increases

exponentially as more alcohol is consumed