The School in the Wicker?

The school photo is of my mother in law. Lily Dawson was infact Lilian Dawson and Florence (Dolly) was her cousin.I am still tracing their family tree .

Do you know Lily Dawson's maiden name? Sorry if she was a child at that time, but I am unable to call any photo up.

dont know maiden name but do know she ended up living on the arbourthorne on atherton road just above my aunt most of the wicker families ended up on arbourthorne when they pulled their houses down Iwas talking to my sister today and she said another of lilians sisters also lived on atherton road but she cant remember her name

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Retep,

Yes, that's the building. In my childhood, a paper supply company had most of the ground floor. The rest was used mainly as Sunday School rooms and by the 158 (Holy Trinity) Scout Troop and Cub Pack for meetings. One room even had a full size snooker table.

The upstairs was used as the Church Hall with a stage, movie projection room and a small kitchen in one corner. In WWII and for a short time afterwards, the church used to have regular film shows there, including a Saturday afternoon show for the local kids.

On the end, facing Johnson Street, the part painted white and the floors above, was the home of the church caretakers: A family I think was called Walker.

Brings back a lot of memories.

Thanks

Your description brings back memories Falls. A few of us lads from the Hayward Road area would somtimes go to those film shows. I also remember a Scout and Cub troop there, but I'm darned if I can remember the color of the neckerchief. I can remember the 'Congs' and Pitsmoor and St Philips, but can't remember Holy Trinity.

Your description brings back memories Falls. A few of us lads from the Hayward Road area would somtimes go to those film shows. I also remember a Scout and Cub troop there, but I'm darned if I can remember the color of the neckerchief. I can remember the 'Congs' and Pitsmoor and St Philips, but can't remember Holy Trinity.

You've got me guessing now. I think the neckerchief was basically a beige/sand colour with a red border.

Dont know why I have trouble remembering the colour. After all, its only SIXTY YEARS since I left the scouts.

Regards

Archived