Tour de Yorkshire

iansheff

I don't see the council paying to host the world snooker championship. Do council pay to host football, basket ball? Why are all tax payer being force to paid for something we don't want?

Sheffield has a population of 551,800 (mid 2011) so it cost every person more then £10 to host the race most don't want to see

How many school can we built with that money?

Edited by Rotherham1

The Grand Prix has run for the last three years and will run again this year. I doubt the success or otherwise would have any bearings on whether the World Tour riders raced through Sheffield as discussed already it's an entirely different prospect. As for elections you'd expect politicians would want to jump on the coattails of an event that created an enormous amount of excitement and goodwill across Yorkshire, but in any case the people of Sheffield have proven time and again that local decisions make little difference as to how they vote.

If it was a case of having another stage of the TdF then yes, they may well have chosen to go for it again after last year... but TdY does not have that significance... or any significance yet... if it proves a success in other parts of Yorkshire, and builds up some kind of positive reputation, then they can always look again in the future. It's only up the road in Barnsley anyway, so anyone who is desperate to be a part of it can enjoy it there :)

I don't see the council paying to host the world snooker championship. Do council pay to host football, basket ball? Why are all tax payer being force to paid for something we don't want?

Sheffield has a population of 551,800 (mid 2011) so it cost every person more then £10 to host the race most don't want to see

How many school can we built with that money?

They estimated that 300,000 people lined the route across Sheffield with a total of around 2.5 for the Yorkshire region. I would disagree that "most did not want to see"

Figures quoted believe that the returns to the region in terms of local businesses was over £100million with Sheffield businesses raking in between 6-10million

For once they actually did something right. Sheffield was all over the news as was the region as a whole.

They just cant win.

If the Council manage to secure a big event and its..... they are wasting money on something nobody wants! How many nurses would that pay for! Think of the children.. somebody think of the children!

If the council don't bother trying to compete with other cities its then.... Oh, we never get anything! Why does Leeds always get things and we don't! Why are we never on the telly with good things! We don't we ever win bids! How come xx Bar/Restaurant/Club/Shops never come here! Why is our city always behind!

Which is then always followed up by.... How much! Rip off joint! Im not paying that! Jokers, why would they open here! Never going in there! Its too la de da!

ROUND AND ROUND IT GOES.

Seriously who would want to be a Councillor here. I would have done my nut by now.

Edited by ECCOnoob

• 1 month later...
Further potential good news for cyclists, Yorkshire has also bid for the Cycling World Championships, which takes part over 8 days.

Sheffield would be the perfect venue for this, we have fantastic terrain that produced the best racing seen during the Grand Depart. I wonder if a route can be organised that keeps the Trams running and minimises disruption to major road routes.

Sheffield would be the perfect venue for this, we have fantastic terrain that produced the best racing seen during the Grand Depart. I wonder if a route can be organised that keeps the Trams running and minimises disruption to major road routes.

I know it goes into Derbyshire, but I've always wanted to see a time trial over Snake Pass.

Realistically the World Championship road race is usually longer than a Tour de France stage, over 150 miles, so it could possibly take in most of Yorkshire.

Realistically the World Championship road race is usually longer than a Tour de France stage, over 150 miles, so it could possibly take in most of Yorkshire.
it's usually done on the basis of laps of a circuit rather than one big lap for logistical reasons.

it's usually done on the basis of laps of a circuit rather than one big lap for logistical reasons.

Indeed the route is usually a more challenging version of what you would see at the Sheffield Grand Prix. The route would be heavily disrupted for a more than a week hence my concern over disruption.