Tour de Yorkshire

iansheff

Indeed the route is usually a more challenging version of what you would see at the Sheffield Grand Prix. The route would be heavily disrupted for a more than a week hence my concern over disruption.
Nothing like it. The Sheffield GP is a town centre event over a 1km course, flat out speed for an hour being the way it is ridden.

The World Champs is usually on a circa 10 mile course, over hillier terrain and will take 6 hours and therefore cannot be ridden flat-out. Also, it will need to take in countryside, so is unlikely to be in the centre of a large city.

Even I could do 10 miles in an hour. Is it up the side of Mount Everest?

er .... several laps of the course .... but you knew that already & I fell for it ;) ... at least I hope you did:confused:

---------- Post added 05-03-2015 at 16:56 ----------

Indeed the route is usually a more challenging version of what you would see at the Sheffield Grand Prix. The route would be heavily disrupted for a more than a week hence my concern over disruption.
but its not, unless you see a marathon as a more challenging version of a 100m sprint.

Plus it probably wont disrupt the middle of a city for a whole week.

Listen, the football matches we have disrupt the city on a frequent, regular and ongoing basis far more than a single event like this might. I don't hear you moan about this. To set the record straight, I'm ok with the football, as I am with any running events in the city or anything else. I just wish others weren't solely anti-cycling.

The men's road race which is held on the last day of the event is usually around the 160-170 mile mark. So you could see something like a 60-70 course been ridden before a circuit of 10 x 10 miles.

If sheffield did ever get the cycling world championships it will cause more disruption than what the TDF did but at the same time I don't actually see much if any racing taking place within the city centre. 12 events over I think usually 8 days.

Edited by WageSlave

• 1 month later...
I really hope the weather is going to play nice, but I have a feeling it won't... I'll be going though, still trying to work out what the best spot might be.

I'm thinking of going, but I don't know Barnsley very well, so not sure where to go or how best to get there.

I'm thinking of going, but I don't know Barnsley very well, so not sure where to go or how best to get there.

Train from Midland Station, Meadowhall or Chapeltown takes you to 5 mins from Tour route.

Or just drive along Grenoside ,Halifax Road and follow Sheffield Road into Barnsley , plenty of parking in Town .

Be there for 12 noon at latest to get a view, the race arrives around 12-30 P.M.

Edited by cuttsie

Train from Midland Station, Meadowhall or Chapeltown takes you to 5 mins from Tour route.

Or just drive along Grenoside ,Halifax Road and follow Sheffield Road into Barnsley , plenty of parking in Town .

Be there for 12 noon at latest to get a view, the race arrives around 12-30 P.M.

Thanks,

I'll probably drive in (with a car full of kids, so will be cheaper than the train), with plenty of time to spare, and just look for a somewhere to park when I get there.