Tour de Yorkshire

iansheff

Why give it a French name?

I would have called it the Yorkshire fish and chips race. A much better representation for what all this is about.

Next time I hear council whining they need to save money while that money is thrown at silly look like France like imitation games I can tell them right now in advance why it did not work.

Many of the big international names will not come and these events cost more than they will bring in.

All of a sudden Yorkshire discovered cycling was an international sport. It took for the biggest one of them to visit Yorkshire for people here to wake up a little and even then they cannot even come up with an original name for it that represents local Yorkshire use of language.

One of the locations, Wakefield, is closish to where an infamously anti-cyclist's alleged home is. So we can still live in hope that it'll go past his front door.

If I win at least one of the Christmas lotteries, I can assure you that it will...

Several times :)

Noticed the same. A shame, bit who knows if they were invited or not. They also might not have had the budget to spend another £1m or wanted to do soemthing else. As its intended to be an annual event then there always next year.

But didn't they claim every £1 spent brought in £5? It is next year.

But didn't they claim every £1 spent brought in £5? It is next year.

It is not the second year of the Tour de Yorkshire.

Yes the money invested in the TDF brought in tourist £ and economic activity. If you go and do some research or read the TDF thread, then you cna find out how much they were predicting.

the council don't get any of that though, so they are spending the £1 so someone else can get the £5.

So why did they do the Tour de France?

---------- Post added 23-12-2014 at 13:59 ----------

It is not the second year of the Tour de Yorkshire.

Yes the money invested in the TDF brought in tourist £ and economic activity. If you go and do some research or read the TDF thread, then you cna find out how much they were predicting.

I did. It was a big con. The figures put out were designed to fool the idiots.

So why did they do the Tour de France?

Because it was an opportunity to generate money for the local economy, especially tourism.

Go and read the thread.

---------- Post added 23-12-2014 at 14:02 ----------

I did. It was a big con. The figures put out were designed to fool the idiots.

Based on what? There was no economic benefit?

Because it was an opportunity to generate money for the local economy, especially tourism.

Go and read the thread.

---------- Post added 23-12-2014 at 14:02 ----------

Based on what? There was no economic benefit?

There was no real economic benefit except to the organisers of the event. They got paid a lot of money.

The event cost the country around £30 million to host 3 stages. That is money that could have been spent on other things.

Now here is the con. They claim it generated £130 million in revenue. Ho ho..

That is the total amount that 3.3 million people spent whilst watching the event. It covered food they ate, drinks they bought, hotels they stopped in and petrol they stuck in their cars. As though folk don't eat or drink anyhow.

Not only that, selling a burger for £2.00 is £2 of revenue, not income. Someone has had to buy the burger, bread roll, cook it and serve it up. The taxable profit is probably 10p.

All that has happened is the country spent £30 million so that 3.3 million people could do their normal shopping in a different location. If I go to the football I don't generate income for the region. I just buy my pie and a pint in a different pub.