City Centre car park prices

a bit of free parking won't significantly change that, if you want to improve the city centre turn off the internet and close out of town places like crystal peaks and meadowhall.

What is the difference between a place like Crystal Peaks/Meadowhall and a city centre that brings folk to shop there?

Allowing temporary car parking on bits of suitable spare land for a couple of years is all well and good, but after than then they should have to do things like put a proper surface down and all the other things you expect of a car park.

Anyway, there are plenty of almost as cheap parking spaces in the area near and around the court buildings

---------- Post added 23-12-2014 at 09:54 ----------

it wasn't a car park, it was a bit of waste ground which people were parking their cars on

Why should they? If the surface is ok and drivers are happy to park there leave it is as affordable parking to attract people to what should be a jewel in Sheffields crown, where are the plentiful parking spaces you speak of, I took my son to Kelham Island Museum on a midweek day last summer and had to give up and go elsewhere as there were no spaces available within reasonable distance, whilst a large piece of vacant land stands empty, ridiculous.

Edited by top4718

5 of us recently went to a panto in Sheffield for the evening and parked in the Q car park, had to take 2 cars for a couple of complicated reasons (disability, working in different places beforehand etc).

I didn't mind paying the show ticket prices which added to a fair amount for us as it was, but parking the cars cost £20 for the evening!

It's been a long while since I was in Sheffield center... and it's going to be a long while before I'm back in there again! :roll:

Allowing temporary car parking on bits of suitable spare land for a couple of years is all well and good, but after than then they should have to do things like put a proper surface down and all the other things you expect of a car park.

Anyway, there are plenty of almost as cheap parking spaces in the area near and around the court buildings

---------- Post added 23-12-2014 at 09:54 ----------

it wasn't a car park, it was a bit of waste ground which people were parking their cars on

Why should they? If the surface is ok and drivers are happy to park there leave it as it is as affordable parking to attract people to what could be a jewel in Sheffields crown, where are the plentiful parking spaces you speak of, I took my son to Kelham Island Museum on a midweek day last summer and had to give up and go elsewhere as there were no spaces available within reasonable distance, whilst a large piece of vacant land stands empty, ridiculous.

Housing to be built on there in the new year

---------- Post added 23-12-2014 at 10:48 ----------

5 of us recently went to a panto in Sheffield for the evening and parked in the Q car park, had to take 2 cars for a couple of complicated reasons (disability, working in different places beforehand etc).

I didn't mind paying the show ticket prices which added to a fair amount for us as it was, but parking the cars cost £20 for the evening!

It's been a long while since I was in Sheffield center... and it's going to be a long while before I'm back in there again! :roll:

There are cheaper council run pay and display car parks and street parking. There are also park & ride services.

Q Park provide an indoor, staffed, secure environment in a convenient location.

You pays your money and makes your choice.

Edited by Andy C

What is the difference between a place like Crystal Peaks/Meadowhall and a city centre that brings folk to shop there?

I don't know, I shop in town rather than meadowhall as it's more convenient for me but I presume that those who go for the shops which are there.

Edited by andyofborg

Why should they? If the surface is ok and drivers are happy to park there leave it as it is as affordable parking to attract people to what could be a jewel in Sheffields crown, where are the plentiful parking spaces you speak of, I took my son to Kelham Island Museum on a midweek day last summer and had to give up and go elsewhere as there were no spaces available within reasonable distance, whilst a large piece of vacant land stands empty, ridiculous.

Housing to be built on there in the new year

---------- Post added 23-12-2014 at 10:48 ----------

There are cheaper council run pay and display car parks and street parking. There are also park & ride services.

Q Park provide an indoor, staffed, secure environment in a convenient location.

You pays your money and makes your choice.

Fair enough, so why close it over a year before work even starts. Once a definite date for commencement is known put up notice of closure, simple.

Sheffield should do what Nottingham does and have free Park and ride. You still have to pay the tram fare but the parking is free whereas as Sheffield seems to charge for parking as well as the tram. Of course that's only good for out of town people buying small items. I personally get the bus as it's only a 15 minute journey for me and cheaper than parking.

PS. There are as others have stated quite a few free places to park in the City Centre on a weekend. Mainly businesses with private car parks that don't open at weekends on the outskirts of the Centre.

Sheffield should do what Nottingham does and have free Park and ride. You still have to pay the tram fare but the parking is free whereas as Sheffield seems to charge for parking as well as the tram. Of course that's only good for out of town people buying small items. I personally get the bus as it's only a 15 minute journey for me and cheaper than parking.

PS. There are as others have stated quite a few free places to park in the City Centre on a weekend. Mainly businesses with private car parks that don't open at weekends on the outskirts of the Centre.

Plenty of free places to park no more then 5/6/7 tram stops outside of the City Centre if you know where to look.

I think that the £4 I paid to park in the city centre on Saturday was well worth it to not have to go to Meadowhall. Near to Coles,great shops on Division Street,Fargate and Orchard Square,the salvation Army band and a great pub lunch.All made christmas shopping a pleasure rather than a chore in the souless hell that is Meadowhall.