Sheffield College Redundancies

For those at Sheffield College this is old news. Negotiation, procedure and interviewing was completed in the main last term with most having taken redundancy, left or been regarded already. Restructuring of departments is nearly all complete.

The closure of Norton and transfer to Hillsborough has been known to staff and prospective students for well over a year .

Planning permission granted last March for the new build at Hillsborough.

very true, my uncle works at norton and has decided to take retirement when they close norton.

• 3 weeks later...

Strike ballot was 85.7% in favour of strike action.

---------- Post added 13-01-2015 at 22:03 ----------

Annie is right, many people have now accepted voluntary redundancy. But they didn't have much choice!

---------- Post added 13-01-2015 at 22:05 ----------

There are about 15 people that are being made compulsorily redundant.

---------- Post added 13-01-2015 at 22:34 ----------

If you would like to support the lecturers there is a petition here. https://you.38degrees.org.uk/p/sheffcol Please try to influence the Governors so that strikes can be avoided.

For those at Sheffield College this is old news. Negotiation, procedure and interviewing was completed in the main last term with most having taken redundancy, left or been regarded already. Restructuring of departments is nearly all complete.

The closure of Norton and transfer to Hillsborough has been known to staff and prospective students for well over a year .

Planning permission granted last March for the new build at Hillsborough.

Indeed it has. My daughter goes to Norton and we were told about this at least a year ago. The restructuring tutor wise has been going on for quite some time. this isn't new news at all

Indeed it has. My daughter goes to Norton and we were told about this at least a year ago. The restructuring tutor wise has been going on for quite some time. this isn't new news at all

It is certainly news to the many people who have just been made redundant, to the staff who are planning strike action to stop it and to the students who will miss lessons because of it. Sheffield College are changing its priorities from providing Sheffielder's with the skills and qualifications they need to be employable to chasing contracts in the far east!

It is certainly news to the many people who have just been made redundant,

Really?? I would have thought the long consultation periods and negotiations between management/unions and the fact that cuts in the public sectors have been announced since early 2010 was a big bloody hint that they may have to make some people redundant.

to the staff who are planning strike action to stop it and to the students who will miss lessons because of it.

Strike action for what exactly? Except for another boost to the union incomes and ego massage for certain big wigs of union members what exactly are they trying to achieve. There are cuts all over the public sector. We are talking about a handful, yes HANDFUL of people who have faced a compulsory redundancy.

Everything has been done by the book and all within consultation and notifications required within the law. What more do they want.

Sheffield College are changing its priorities from providing Sheffielder's with the skills and qualifications they need to be employable to chasing contracts in the far east!

Of course they are chasing contracts. They need to make money to fill the massive hole left by government cuts. They have to operate with a commercial mindset otherwise they would simply not be able to provide the vital services they do with the tools and facilities that are required in a modern college.

I think you need to check what mandatory services and mandatory targets they have to adhere to. You will find they are being filled.

I agree that it is a big big shame that Adult Education places are being cut down to virtually nothing, but when money is slashed you have to focus on the priorities i.e. 16-18 further education.

Adults wanting to learn new skills, learn a second language, retrain for a new job etc have other options available to them, there are other training providers out there for ADULTS. There are other way to fund such training for ADULTS such as employer sponsorship, training grants or (dare I even say this) paying for it yourself.

It is certainly news to the many people who have just been made redundant, to the staff who are planning strike action to stop it and to the students who will miss lessons because of it. Sheffield College are changing its priorities from providing Sheffielder's with the skills and qualifications they need to be employable to chasing contracts in the far east!

No I beg to differ. It's been known for well over a year Norton was closing and services moving elswhere primarily to Hillsborough. So it's not that hard to work out that some people were going to sadly lose their jobs. On my daughters course quite a few of the tutors have already got themselves jobs elsewhere

As for missing lessons, poor students - hilarious. They dont give a hoot who turns up and when.

I retired after 30 yrs in FE. I was also the UCU Branch Sec for 12 y.

Ever since "Incorporation" managements have been declaring redundancies.

In addition,College Principals and Senior Management have been awarding themselves large salary increases-far and away increases in excess of inflation.

To any colleagues participating in the industrial action,you have my 100% support and solidarity.

Get management to "open the books" and have a look at how they have been managing the college accounts.