William 'Dick' Alcock WW1 died 1917 from Nethersthorpe Road Portmahon

gba1968

Trying to find any relatives/relations of William 'Dick' Alcock of Netherthorpe Street, Portmahon, Sheffield. Son of Arthur and Sarah Ann Alcock (stepmother), of 32, Netherthorpe St. May have had a sister Alice in Whitham Road Sheffield.

From 'Every Man Remembered' WW1 website:-

Corporal WILLIAM CHARLES ALCOCK

King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Died on 20 September 1917 Age 21

Buried at DOZINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY, West-Vlaanderen Belgium

Service No. 11874

I don't know how much information you have about 'Dick'. But in case you haven't found this here goes.

His father was Arthur Andrew Alcock and his mother Alice Grace Hewett - they married 25 Dec 1892 in Hackney. Alice died in 1907. Alice's father was Frederick Theodore Hewett.

His siblings were Arthur born 1893, Albert 1900 and Alice 1902.

Arthur Andrew Alcock went on to marry Sarah Ann Mortimer in 1914.

albert dies 1902, looks as though Alice moved back to London as there is a record of Alice E M Alcock marriage in 1931 to a Thomas Bond . Alice was christened Alice Elizabeth Maud Alcock

---------- Post added 24-12-2014 at 19:50 ----------

William's brother Arthur Frederick is killed 14/06/1915

• 5 months later...

Hi, I'm one of the Friends of Wardsend Cemetery where William and his brother are remembered on the family headstone. We don't have much information on either of them and would be very grateful if you could provide us with anything that can help us. We are hoping to tell some of the stories of Wardsend through performance and spoken word linking with the Sheffield College Performing Arts Dept and I wondered if you woukd mind us using the letter you mentioned but only if you felt it appropriate. Only yesterday I posted a photo of the headstone on the Sheffield History Facebook group and it was googling William's name that brought me here.

Hi, I have scanned images of what I have and posted them on livesofthe firstworldwar.org

I now have a postcard he sent to his sister too which I will add soon.

Please contact me if you want me to email scans to you!!

Regards, Greg