Brussels sprouts

Brussels sprouts love them or hate  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Brussels sprouts love them or hate

• Love them my favourite vegatables
    • They are OK with some foods
    • Hate the things find them revolting
    • Take em or leave them

Or and that colliflower stuff that looks like brains on your plate errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:gag: my Dad used to make me eat it when I was a lad I used to gag and spit in my hankie and make out like I was blowing my nose,he caught me rubbing the hankies through in a bucket one day,he must have realized how much I hated the stuff,he never bothered making me eat it after that..

Brussels Sprout Lovers, Brussels Sprout Haters, have kind thoughts for each other. It's just we have different genetics. Some of us have a gene that makes brussels sprouts and cabbage bitter; some don't.

Details at http://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2011/nov/01/brussel-sprout-gene

Brief excerpt:

There is one gene controlling taste sensitivity that scientists have characterised in a lot of detail – the catchily named TAS2R38 gene. This gene makes a protein that interlocks with a chemical called PTC (phenylthiocarbamide) and gives the taste sensation of bitterness.

PTC isn't usually found in the human diet, but it is very similar to chemicals found in brassicas such as brussels sprouts and cabbages. Because of this, scientists have suggested that the ability to taste or not taste PTC might explain why some people hate sprouts, and some people love them.

I like them, the trick is not to overcook them.

Quite the opposite! I love, love, love sprouts but only if they have been boiled within an inch of their little leafy lifes! If they don't fall straight through the prongs of my fork when scooped up, they're not cooked enough for me!

My husband on the other hand absolutely detests them, he describes them as "tasting like trump"!