Hammerton Road Police Station

Bilge

• 1 year later...

Around 1980, was working close to Hillfoot Bridge and one hell of an obnoxious copper who came from Hammerton Road gave me and my work mate a piece of his mind for a very trivial matter concerning parking. As a life long supporter of the Police, little incidents like that stick in your mind.

Let me tell you a story about one of my few encounters with Hammerton Road coppers. It was a warm, sunny evening in August 1967, and I had strolled along to the Mason's Arms on Langsett Road for a quart of draught ale in a big bottle that I took with me (remember those days?!) The arrangement was that my dad would pick me up on his motorbike and bring me home. I collected the beer and crossed the road, bottle in hand, to wait for dad. And along came PC49 from Hammerton Road with his sidekick. The conversation went like this:

PC49 - "What have you got in that bottle?"

Me - "Beer"

PC49 - "How old are you?"

Me - "Nineteen"

PC49 - "What's your date of birth?"

Me - "6 April 1948" - then after a bit more dialogue "my dad will be here soon."

At this moment, right on cue, along came dear old dad on his LE Velocette. He immediately sized up the situation (I could see the beginnings of a smile on his face).

PC49 - "Is this your son?"

Dad - "Yes"

PC49 - "What's his date of birth?"

Dad (with an air of smug satisfaction) - "6th of April 1948"

At this point PC49 turned on his well-polished heel, and he and his pal buggered off back to Hammerton Road..:hihi:.:hihi:.:hihi:

Around 1980, was working close to Hillfoot Bridge and one hell of an obnoxious copper who came from Hammerton Road gave me and my work mate a piece of his mind for a very trivial matter concerning parking. As a life long supporter of the Police, little incidents like that stick in your mind.

As a schoolboy in the mid 50s I saw quite a bit of the inside of the police box on Hillfoot Bridge,due to a belligerent old type copper who picked on any kid crossing his path!.First of all he asked where you were going and then where you had been,you had to be careful how you answered or you received a cuff round the earhole!.Then turn out your pockets which as any kid had was full of all kinds of stuff,coins,penknive,hankie,marbles anything you had swapped in the day,"Wheres tha got that from nicked it?""No I avent,I swopped it!".Crack ,you saw stars from the clip to the back of your skull,after a while he got bored of the interregation and threw me out of the police box to go and pick on somebody else!.He was the same copper mentioned in Fred Pass,s book who some of his schoolboy victims got revenge by slinging his sit up and beg bike off Hillfoot Bridge into the river Don,serve him right the nasty

old get!:clap: