Increased Police Vigilance

monkey69

This is mainly for the road users of Sheffield, I have had the pleasure of being stopped twice by the Police in the last ten days for contravening red lights. This is very unusual behavior for the police as in both instances I was on my bicycle. In the last twenty years i have gone through lights at various stages and on plenty of occasions I have done this in the presence of police officers. This time though it was a police van and they actually turned around in the road to come after me. Instead of arguing about how the pressure plates and magnetic strips rarely pick up cyclists and change for them I said that I treated the junction that was controlled by the lights as a give way. It was perfectly safe, I was already stopped at the red light and waited patiently for the opposing traffic to pass before I ventured across the junction and with no other traffic in sight.This did not satisfy them and for a time i actually thought i was going to get a fine!!.

Have the Police been given instructions to get fines for various misdemeanors ?.

I know this is happening in other countries but the police there get to keep the revenue raised through such fines. Does the British police get to keep the money from fines that they issue?

I know this is happening in other countries but the police there get to keep the revenue raised through such fines. Does the British police get to keep the money from fines that they issue?

I don't think they do...I'm not sure what your argument against a fine would have been? You contravened a red light..it's a fair cop really..

I don't think they do...I'm not sure what your argument against a fine would have been? You contravened a red light..it's a fair cop really..

Agreed - I'm not a cyclist-hater (although I'm sure some will be along shortly), but the fact you have no number plate does not make you exempt from traffic laws. If you were driving and there were no other cars in sight you wouldn't drive through a red light; same applies for any other road users.

This is mainly for the road users of Sheffield, I have had the pleasure of being stopped twice by the Police in the last ten days for contravening red lights. This is very unusual behavior for the police as in both instances I was on my bicycle. In the last twenty years i have gone through lights at various stages and on plenty of occasions I have done this in the presence of police officers. This time though it was a police van and they actually turned around in the road to come after me. Instead of arguing about how the pressure plates and magnetic strips rarely pick up cyclists and change for them I said that I treated the junction that was controlled by the lights as a give way. It was perfectly safe, I was already stopped at the red light and waited patiently for the opposing traffic to pass before I ventured across the junction and with no other traffic in sight.This did not satisfy them and for a time i actually thought i was going to get a fine!!.

Have the Police been given instructions to get fines for various misdemeanors ?.

Excellent news!! You broke a rule of the road and were pulled over by the Police. I see far too many cyclists going through red lights and it's about time they were held to account for their actions.

I just hope you don't spit your dummy out and tell us all that you should be entitled to preferential treatment because you ride a bicycle. I suggest that you purchase a copy of the highway code.

Excellent news!! You broke a rule of the road and were pulled over by the Police. I see far too many cyclists going through red lights and it's about time they were held to account for their actions.

I just hope you don't spit your dummy out and tell us all that you should be entitled to preferential treatment because you ride a bicycle. I suggest that you purchase a copy of the highway code.

As I said:

Am a cyclist and ex London cyclist and the Highway Code applies to all! No user of the highway should be tarnished with the same brush either, like some half wits like to do on here.

As I said:

Am a cyclist and ex London cyclist and the Highway Code applies to all! No user of the highway should be tarnished with the same brush either, like some half wits like to do on here.

OK...why the need to repeat yourself? I've read your post already. For your information, my post was not aimed at the vast majority of law-abiding cyclists, just the entitled few who believe they are above the law.

OK...why the need to repeat yourself? I've read your post already. For your information, my post was not aimed at the vast majority of law-abiding cyclists, just the entitled few who believe they are above the law.

Same could apply to every motorcyclist, vehicle user, pedestrians etc... Pointless pointing the finger - the world is full of numpties who won't follow all rules, regulations and laws. Not just a certain set - cheer up, its Christmas ☺

Makes me laugh how people on here bitch and moan about cyclists proceeding across a junction when there is no traffic and it is perfectly safe to do so.

I drive and cycle and it seems that the moaners on here should get of their fat arses and try cycling on the roads before bitching and grumbling.

When on a bike at a red light and it changes I usually have the car / bus / lorry that is first in the queue virtually running me over for being in the way and not being able to accelerate at the same speed as they can. Or virtually forcing me off the road if I am at the side. That is assuming the have even seen me as they sit playing on their phones while they wait for the lights to change.

I find it MUCH SAFER when stopping at a red light, to proceed through it before all the other traffic IF it is safe to do so. What is the harm in this? It gets me out of the way of of other traffic and far enough in front so they see me instead of squeezing me against the curb.

So I guess donotremove is one of the few road users who NEVER speeds or breaks the law under any circumstances? Bloody hypocrite more like!