Increased Police Vigilance

monkey69

Clint, PCSOs do get paid, much more than a probation police officer. However, they do not hold the queens warrant and cannot arrest, use force or a whole host of other powers.

They are a tool ( steady now ) for police to use in crime prevention, anti social behaviour and other low level tasks.

It was David Blunketts solution to provide policing on the cheap.

Clint, PCSOs do get paid, much more than a probation police officer. However, they do not hold the queens warrant and cannot arrest, use force or a whole host of other powers.

They are a tool ( steady now ) for police to use in crime prevention, anti social behaviour and other low level tasks.

It was David Blunketts solution to provide policing on the cheap.

Tax payers security guards then ?

But if they are not paid by First then I don't see why they should be checking tickets.

That said I have only noticed them on certain routes where a certain community catch the buses, maybe its to maintain social cohesion and not have one group of us kick off at another for flouting rules and behaviour we normally take for granted.

This is the post i WISH i was capable of writing Many Thanks for taking the time to compose it..

Hi Monkey- thanks for that :)

I understand you're involved with space4cycling, so we've probably been on a ride together at one of the events.

Just wondering, if you know many of the people involved with the project quite well, what's the general consensus (if there is one) on this issue of going through reds with the motivation of maximising personal safety?

Is it a fairly common thing amongst riders involved with spaceforcycling, or, like on this forum, do the majority see it as wrong and irresponsible?

Also, are you aware of any local cycling groups that are involved with some form of activist approach in improving cycling safety? (for example working to get video evidence of stuff that's really dangerous for cyclists, such as motorists using mobile phones while driving, then submitting it to the police, and, taking it higher when/if the police don't follow it up?

The ironic thing about this thread is that there is one poster who openly admits to driving his car in a dangerous manner, passing cyclists too closely and driving around blind bends without due caution, things that do cost lives and it passes almost unnoticed.

OOh that's interesting... Who? and where has this poster posted such things? Would love to know. I've searched the thread and can't find that.

As a car driver, this is pretty annoying :nod:

And why is that? Why do some of you car drivers find it so annoying that a cyclist goes through a red sometimes?

Can you actually come up with the reasons why? I'm genuinely interested in knowing why you people find it so annoying, I'm interested in knowing if you know why you find it annoying.

And I mean the real reasons, not the usual rubbish along the lines of 'if they can do it why can't I...' (rubbish because, of course, you can do what they do i.e. get on a bike (along with all the negatvies it entails, such as being at risk of being mown down by that small percentage of motorists who are a real danger to cyclist on the road) and, on encountering a red, decide to go through it.

So, what's the rasoning being your annoyance?

And why is that? Why do some of you car drivers find it so annoying that a cyclist goes through a red sometimes?

Can you actually come up with the reasons why? I'm genuinely interested in knowing why you people find it so annoying, I'm interested in knowing if you know why you find it annoying.

And I mean the real reasons, not the usual rubbish along the lines of 'if they can do it why can't I...' (rubbish because, of course, you can do what they do i.e. get on a bike (along with all the negatvies it entails, such as being at risk of being mown down by that small percentage of motorists who are a real danger to cyclist on the road) and, on encountering a red, decide to go through it.

So, what's the rasoning being your annoyance?

Well, let's start with "It's against the law and the highway code." I'd be as annoyed with a car driver doing it.