Increased Police Vigilance

monkey69

I disagree entirely with you.

Running red lights is never for your own safety. It's for your convenience. Safety is just the excuse you throw out when challenged.

Your behaviour actively makes life more dangerous for other cyclists by causing anger in drivers.

---------- Post added 24-12-2014 at 16:09 ----------

It has to do with your judgement about there being no other traffic or pedestrians.

I would generally trust my judgement. I wouldn't run a red light on that basis though, as the consequences of being mistaken are severe.

We're not talking about pedestrians crossing the road are we.

We're talking about you, using a vehicle.

Running a light is nothing to do with avoiding being hit. It increases the risk of being hit, and of hitting someone else.

You do it out of impatience and laziness.

---------- Post added 24-12-2014 at 16:09 ----------

So you overtake incorrectly, and dangerously close to cyclists. Good to know.

Totally disagree with you there, if you read one of the previous posts you will see that when your a cyclist and alone at a set of lights, they often don't change. I think this is because there is so little weight/Metal for the senses to detect. So unless we all get off our bicycles and WALK across the junction,(which could be against the law).

What are we supposed to do?. wait for goodness knows how long for a larger vehicle to change the lights for us?

What tickled me the most was as they went off in their van I followed until we came to the traffic island at the bottom of west bar. Instead of pulling up beside them as they waited to pull out onto the island I stayed behind the van, I expected them to go straight across as they DID NOT INDICATE. Instead they turn RIGHT, a car coming the opposite way had to brake hard as they also expected the police van to come straight across. I had to chuckle to myself at that one. maybe they should practice what they preach in future! re:: the highway code:hihi::hihi:

Maybe they had a police emergency. you never know it might have been an accident where a cyclist was involved.

You should always obey the law, never mind if they break it themselves, they are the police after all. your just a berk on a bike!:rant:

Totally disagree with you there, if you read one of the previous posts you will see that when your a cyclist and alone at a set of lights, they often don't change. I think this is because there is so little weight/Metal for the senses to detect. So unless we all get off our bicycles and WALK across the junction,(which could be against the law).

What are we supposed to do?. wait for goodness knows how long for a larger vehicle to change the lights for us?

This is entirely untrue. You're just making excuses to run lights. You know, we know it.

Edit - what makes you think that crossing a junction as a pedestrian would be against the law?

Edited by Cyclone

I wish they would get the drivers that come through the red lights at the top of the south bound exit road at J33. Every night when I am getting waiting to get off the slip road there are always some drivers that don't stop and jump the lights. Bet SYP could make a pretty penny on this junction.

I hope the police ticket you as well neeeeek, maybe enough £30 fines and points on your car license (assuming you have one) and you'll stop it.

Seeing as a lot of cyclists also claim to be drivers, then having points put on their driving licences for offences committed whilst cycling is the way forward.

Simple. If it's red, STOP

That's all

Whether you are on a bike, or in a black 4x4 with pedestrians crossing on the green man in front of you.

if the light in front of you is red, STOP

It's not hard

Even if the light WONT CHANGE you should still wait????. I wouldn't like to be behind you in a contraflow!!!.

:hihi::hihi:

Seeing as a lot of cyclists also claim to be drivers, then having points put on their driving licences for offences committed whilst cycling is the way forward.

That's what can already happen.

---------- Post added 25-12-2014 at 11:50 ----------

Even if the light WONT CHANGE you should still wait????. I wouldn't like to be behind you in a contraflow!!!.

:hihi::hihi:

I've come across one such light in my entire life.

But since it's traffic you're so concerned with, it must be the case that there will be some around, which WILL trigger it.

If it's so quiet that there is no traffic to trigger it, then it won't harm you to become a pedestrian for a few feet.