Tap and Tankard, Cambridge St (former Sportsman pub)

Bilge

Yeah that's more like the range I'd expect to see. Was surprised by the Bad Seed entry in the previous post.

Well, they have a guest keg pump, which does give a pub more options to play with. And again, enough local breweries are kegging at the moment to ensure that they can go for quite a few local options there.

I'm firmly in the 'no music' camp... though that's partly cos there's no pub in Sheffield that manages both good beer and good music*! Dove & Rainbow plays good music but the beer is at best uninspiring... whereas the 'proper' pubs that do play music inevitably play awful middle-of-the-road tosh

The only exception is pubs like the Rutland that have a jukebox with a wide spectrum, but this of course means putting ones hand in ones pocket (or hoping someone else that does so has good taste!)

* 'good music' is of course in the ear of the beholder... which is why it's impossible to please everyone!

still, could be worse. at least none of the good pubs play j*zz!

Good juke box in the Porter Cottage as well, beer always good too.

Good juke box in the Porter Cottage as well, beer always good too.

Agree with that. Beer range has improved lately too. To the point where I had planned to saunter down to the Stag but got trapped in the Porter Cottage and the Lescar.

No music in a pub can sometimes render it a little soulless. As long as it's not too loud you can usually ignore what you don't like. Especially if chatting.

Went in the other night. Hardly anyone in so, without any music, I found the atmosphere uncomfortable. So I didn't really enjoy the brief visit. Being forced to listen to other conversations is not relaxing. Real ale theme pubs are wrong to be making this a policy. Music in pubs can be good OR bad. But no music at all EVER is bad. Maybe they don't want to pay the PRS.

Went in the other night. Hardly anyone in so, without any music, I found the atmosphere uncomfortable. So I didn't really enjoy the brief visit. Being forced to listen to other conversations is not relaxing. Real ale theme pubs are wrong to be making this a policy. Music in pubs can be good OR bad. But no music at all EVER is bad. Maybe they don't want to pay the PRS.

Maybe what we need to do is complile a list of bars doing good beer AND music? I was once in Dada and tweeted that the music chocie was particularly good. Then the girl running the place came over and asked me what lse I like listening to!

I think the PRS is a big part of it to be perfectly honest.

On a similar note, would real ale pubs consider Sky Sports if the costs weren't so extortionate?

---------- Post added 09-01-2015 at 12:25 ----------

Agree with that. Beer range has improved lately too. To the point where I had planned to saunter down to the Stag but got trapped in the Porter Cottage and the Lescar.

If my last visit is anything to go by, the Porter Cottage was serving beer in much better condition then the Stag. Better atmosphere then the Stag as well.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

I think the PRS is a big part of it to be perfectly honest.

On a similar note, would real ale pubs consider Sky Sports if the costs weren't so extortionate?

---------- Post added 09-01-2015 at 12:25 ----------

If my last visit is anything to go by, the Porter Cottage was serving beer in much better condition then the Stag. Better atmosphere then the Stag as well.

You know what mate - I think you're right there. Last time I went in the Stag I had a decidedly dodgy pint of Kipling and the Jaipur wasn't much better. I put it down to it being full of Sheffield United fans, which is bound to make any beer go off... But maybe I was wrong!

And yeah I am joking. But bring on the abuse anyway. I can take it! ;c)

• 2 months later...

I keep hearing good things about this place. I went in when it first opened and it had run-of-the-mill ales that were fine but now they seem to offer a more carefully chosen selection including something on keg. There`s a fair few pubs to go at in that part of town now! :)