Tap and Tankard, Cambridge St (former Sportsman pub)

Bilge

Leeds had a gap. We don't.

Total tosh

The attendences this week at the Siren takeovers prove that there is a vast market for bars selling this kind of beer regularly. Leeds have them. Sheffield doesn't.

Personally I don't care as I live between the two places so either is good for me. But You're definitely missing out.

Total tosh

The attendences this week at the Siren takeovers prove that there is a vast market for bars selling this kind of beer regularly. Leeds have them. Sheffield doesn't.

Personally I don't care as I live between the two places so either is good for me. But You're definitely missing out.

Sheffield Tap, Rutland Arms, Brewdog, Anchorage, Shakespeare's to name but a few..... difference this week is the marketing.

Sheffield Tap, Rutland Arms, Brewdog, Anchorage, Shakespeare's to name but a few..... difference this week is the marketing.

I repeat - total tosh. When did you last see Siren on in any of those with the exception of Rutty and Shakey? I remmeber when Sheffield Tap used to have Buxton, RedWillow, Tempest, Marble etc regularly on cask - now not at all. And whilst they might make the odd nod towards a bit of Kernel on keg occasionally it's a rare thing. Anchorage often have a Wild beer on. But only one.

Yet walk into somewhere like Tapped in Leeds, or North Bar, or many of the others - even the Grove in Huddersfield - and you're always greeted with something exotic - even the likes of Toccalmatto or De Molen which you almost never see in Sheffield. Tapped Leeds even had a Wild takeover a few weeks back. Why not their supposed 'flagship' bar in Sheffield?

If you're really trying to telll me that Sheffield bars have anything like that to offer then sadly you're deluded mate. I would suggest a day out in Leeds - starting at the Northern Monk Refectory and walking back into town. You won't even pass the usual suspects like Brewdog and North Bar, yet you'll visit some very fine places and have some very excellent beer.

Probably the reason Sheffield has SiBA and Leeds has the LIBF - which incidentally is going to have a dedicated Milkkeller bar this year, amongst many, many others. I'd love to have the money to set up a proper craft bar and prove what could be achieved in Sheffield with a little foresight.

Seen Siren on in Kelham Island Tavern & Harlequin before now. Apparently 3 Tuns have a couple of Siren beers as well.

3 Tuns is a fallout from the Rutty order.

Best place to get a decent beer in Kelham Island is actually Craft & Dough. If you dont mind paying top side of £5 a bottle.

3 Tuns is a fallout from the Rutty order.

Best place to get a decent beer in Kelham Island is actually Craft & Dough. If you dont mind paying top side of £5 a bottle.

If I really want to splash out on bottled exotica in a Sheffield pub, I'm more likely to choose De Molen "Moord & Brand" in Shakespeare's. Although the Beer Stop in Dronfield currently does an outstanding job when it comes to bottled exotica.

And that in turn means that it's draft beers that I tend to look for when I'm in Sheffield at the moment.

I have to say I hate Leeds with a passion but went for a day out about a month back and was very impressed.

Tapped Leeds had a massive range of beers on Cask, Keg, their own tank beers and in bottle. To say it's the same company as the Sheffield Tap the selection made the Tap look like it's ugly odd cousin.

Brewdog Leeds although much smaller and less taps and fridge space blew Brewdog Sheffield out of the water in terms of keg and bottle selection. A great example of this was their 1st birthday which I was so looking forward to. I kept tweeting to ask what beers they would have on and got no reply, when I went in and saw bog standard Thornbridge beers I was gutted. They have also had some questionable tap takeovers.....Ilkley is a great example some of the beers from this are still kick around like a bad smell.

Friends of Ham was just amazing, beers, wine, sherry and food were all superb. Lots of interesting beers across the range including PX aged Bearded Lady.

North Bar was ok but I think we came across an off day.

There are other places we didn't visit but the general theme was good beers from good breweries doing something a little different.

Sheffield has The Rutland and The Shakespeare but even then it's the bottles and Kegs that save them as although they do have some great cask beers on there is also some ok stuff a lot of the time. Brewdog used to do it for me but that has gone seriously off the boil. Would some places like in Leeds work in Sheffield? I'm not sure.

I'm not quite sure what happened to L**ds! 5 years ago it was 5h1te - no real 'craft' outlets and the cask emporia weren't a patch on Sheffield's

Now L**ds has a great beer circuit without going more than 200 yards from the station, as well as Refectory, North Bar etc. In Sheffield the broadfield is about the only place to do that sort of thing well. Anchorage is cr@p (passing off stuff brewed at marstons as craft!), brewpuppy is the least inspiring in the chain with fewest guests and least of interest lately.

Tap-wise, I think Sheffield is a nicer building but l**ds has better guests and brews far more of interest on site

I don't know why it works in l**ds but not here, apart from l**ds having more brass than sense! Has to be said the prices are eyewatering - apart from the Fiends of Ham random offer of any three thirds for a fiver even stuff that's a tenner a pint!

Seen Siren on in Kelham Island Tavern & Harlequin before now. Apparently 3 Tuns have a couple of Siren beers as well.

Yeah, and Broady too.

Fwiw, I'd not head for somewhere on a night out because it had a good bottle selection. Cask mainly then keg is what I'd hope to get. Otherwise, might as well do BC or HH and stay ome.

Silly to compare the 2.

The Sportsman was a Rock Bar where the music was more important than the beer quality. This has now moved to the Yorkshireman.

There's room for both types of pub in my opinion.

I was in T&T on Thurs and love the KI beers so I was well happy though some music would help the atmosphere I think but I realise it's not everyone's wish.

sporty was aways a good music venue,, but why to rock bars have to be a dump ! ?:loopy:

---------- Post added 19-03-2015 at 00:27 ----------

Rock bar track records,, ! Classic Rock, nice bar music and good Ale. sporty dump good music , Dove 50/50 Casbah crap all round after it wasn't the Wopntech , Board walk also after Herby Armstrong left :( Corp died a death when they got chavs in,,

only future for Rock is the Church house,, well if they keep it clean !