Tap and Tankard, Cambridge St (former Sportsman pub)

Bilge

I have to say I hate Leeds with a passion but went for a day out about a month back and was very impressed.

Tapped Leeds had a massive range of beers on Cask, Keg, their own tank beers and in bottle. To say it's the same company as the Sheffield Tap the selection made the Tap look like it's ugly odd cousin.

Brewdog Leeds although much smaller and less taps and fridge space blew Brewdog Sheffield out of the water in terms of keg and bottle selection. A great example of this was their 1st birthday which I was so looking forward to. I kept tweeting to ask what beers they would have on and got no reply, when I went in and saw bog standard Thornbridge beers I was gutted. They have also had some questionable tap takeovers.....Ilkley is a great example some of the beers from this are still kick around like a bad smell.

Friends of Ham was just amazing, beers, wine, sherry and food were all superb. Lots of interesting beers across the range including PX aged Bearded Lady.

North Bar was ok but I think we came across an off day.

There are other places we didn't visit but the general theme was good beers from good breweries doing something a little different.

Sheffield has The Rutland and The Shakespeare but even then it's the bottles and Kegs that save them as although they do have some great cask beers on there is also some ok stuff a lot of the time. Brewdog used to do it for me but that has gone seriously off the boil. Would some places like in Leeds work in Sheffield? I'm not sure.

Can't see why it wouldn't work in Sheffield given the attendance at the Siren events so far. It simply seems like Leeds has completely embraced craft beer in a way Sheffield hasn't. Even burger joints like The Pit have a range. And the Bundobust Street Food Cafe has some fine craft kegs on as well as bottles. Sure Sheffield has similar (you could quote Anchorage or Craft and Dough) but it's simply the sheer amount of places Leeds has that offer it. And they are always busy. Even Brewdog have recognised this. They are changing the original Leeds bar into a BottleDog and opening a new 2 floor 400sq ft bar near North.

I do recognise that Leeds is much more of a destination place. As Steel City says, there is so much within 200 yds of the station, yet what does Sheffield have near the station? The Tap and Rutty if you push it. Howard and Queens Head if you must. We won't mention the Penny Black... hardly a choice that welcomes the average visitor to town. That's about the only reason I can think of for the disparity between the two. And something Sheffield Council should really think about addressing in plans to welcome visitors into the town.

Can't see why it wouldn't work in Sheffield given the attendance at the Siren events so far. It simply seems like Leeds has completely embraced craft beer in a way Sheffield hasn't. Even burger joints like The Pit have a range. And the Bundobust Street Food Cafe has some fine craft kegs on as well as bottles. Sure Sheffield has similar (you could quote Anchorage or Craft and Dough) but it's simply the sheer amount of places Leeds has that offer it. And they are always busy. Even Brewdog have recognised this. They are changing the original Leeds bar into a BottleDog and opening a new 2 floor 400sq ft bar near North.

I do recognise that Leeds is much more of a destination place. As Steel City says, there is so much within 200 yds of the station, yet what does Sheffield have near the station? The Tap and Rutty if you push it. Howard and Queens Head if you must. We won't mention the Penny Black... hardly a choice that welcomes the average visitor to town. That's about the only reason I can think of for the disparity between the two. And something Sheffield Council should really think about addressing in plans to welcome visitors into the town.

I think The CFKACBBIS needs to be formed (Campaign for kick ass craft beer bars in Sheffield ) Perhaps someone else could come up with something a bit more snappy?

I think The CFKACBBIS needs to be formed (Campaign for kick ass craft beer bars in Sheffield ) Perhaps someone else could come up with something a bit more snappy?

Dare I mention CAMRGB (Campaign for really good beer), who are holding a pub crawl in Sheffield on Saturday as it happens!

CAMRGB & Hop Hideout #Twissup Sheffield Beer Crawl

Venue: Start at Sheffield Tap, Sheffield Train Station

Date: Saturday 21st March 2015

Time: 13:00

Cost: Free (Beer X tickets to be purchased by individuals from http://www.beerx.org/)

Buses: all serving Sheffield Interchange

Trams: Sheffield Station (Blue or Purple route)

An afternoon beer crawl hosted by CAMRGB and Hop Hideout – rounded off with a session at the SIBA Beer X event. Approximate itinerary – 13:00 Sheffield Tap, 14:00 Rutland Arms, 15:30 Tap & Tankard, 17:00 Craft & Dough for pizza. Sign up via @CAMRGB twitter.

Their website is here, although as I've mentioned in the Sheffield Beer Week thread, I'm not altogether persuaded http://www.camrgb.org/

• 2 months later...
After a visit to Leeds on Saturday where I visited not one but EIGHT new good beer bars that have opened over the course of the last year, I can tell you there is a significant gap in Sheffield's pub market. For many different tastes.

Had a crawl in L**ds last week. The thing I thought was missing was the more traditional ale pub!

Best place I came across in L**ds was Bundobust, which was surprisingly good, and, along with Friends of Spam, a pointer to what will probably be the next big thing in the UK beer scene.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

Had a crawl in L**ds last week. The thing I thought was missing was the more traditional ale pub!

Best place I came across in L**ds was Bundobust, which was surprisingly good, and, along with Friends of Spam, a pointer to what will probably be the next big thing in the UK beer scene.

You can get the more traditional pub if you know where to go. Places like the Vistora and Scarbotough are both Nicholson's pubs (who have a few in York etc). Then of course you have the old places in the gennels off Briggate like the Pack Horse and the Ship. The new Head of Steam bar opposite Bundobust is amazing and traditionally decorated. If you want to go a little further out you have some of the Leeds Brewery outlets like Crowd of Favours or The Wrens. But then I did live there for 5 years.

I personally prefer the non-traditional outlets. Like you said, Bundobust is great. They actually had a Randall on last time I was there! Tho sadly filled with fruit rather than more hops...

You can get the more traditional pub if you know where to go. Places like the Vistora and Scarbotough are both Nicholson's pubs (who have a few in York etc). Then of course you have the old places in the gennels off Briggate like the Pack Horse and the Ship. The new Head of Steam bar opposite Bundobust is amazing and traditionally decorated. If you want to go a little further out you have some of the Leeds Brewery outlets like Crowd of Favours or The Wrens. But then I did live there for 5 years.

I personally prefer the non-traditional outlets. Like you said, Bundobust is great. They actually had a Randall on last time I was there! Tho sadly filled with fruit rather than more hops...

I did visit one L**ds brewery outlet. The Midnight Bell. Very much a gastro pub and not really to my taste at all. A few doors down from there is the Cross Keys, which I preferred.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

yet what does Sheffield have near the station? The Tap and Rutty if you push it. Howard and Queens Head if you must. We won't mention the Penny Black... hardly a choice that welcomes the average visitor to town. That's about the only reason I can think of for the disparity between the two. And something Sheffield Council should really think about addressing in plans to welcome visitors into the town.

What about the Showroom, along with its cafe and cinema, also the Hallam Hubs and of course, the Leadmill?

BTW, does the Tap and Tankard still feature occasional Drag Cabaret nights with Penny Change? I recall 'she' did regular shows a year or two ago when it was called the Sportsman.:love:

I did visit one L**ds brewery outlet. The Midnight Bell. Very much a gastro pub and not really to my taste at all. A few doors down from there is the Cross Keys, which I preferred.

Midnight Bell is cr@p. Worst of the Leeds houses. Cross Keys is owned by North Bar and is much bettr. You weren't too far from the Northern Monk Refectory there - did you go? And in the other direction the Pur House, which is not particularly a good beer bar, but has a couple on and is a very nice place to have a drink.

---------- Post added 11-06-2015 at 12:21 ----------

What about the Showroom, along with its cafe and cinema, also the Hallam Hubs and of course, the Leadmill?

BTW, does the Tap and Tankard still feature occasional Drag Cabaret nights with Penny Change? I recall 'she' did regular shows a year or two ago when it was called the Sportsman.:love:

LOL, I dont think the Tap & Tankard has any cabaret (thank god!). I did notice that the Tap & Barrell was listed in the latest CAMRA rag as now having real ale. The description was hilarious to any fan of Terry Pratchett. Said something about having a 'diverse clientelle from all walks of life'.

In other words - you have been warned! ;c)

Edited by DnAuK