Tap and Tankard, Cambridge St (former Sportsman pub)

Bilge

Midnight Bell is cr@p. Worst of the Leeds houses. Cross Keys is owned by North Bar and is much better. You weren't too far from the Northern Monk Refectory there - did you go? And in the other direction the Pur House, which is not particularly a good beer bar, but has a couple on and is a very nice place to have a drink.

I did go in Northern Monk Refectory, but I was disappointed to be honest. To cut a long story short it just wasn't my thing. Even if the beer is good there.

I did go in Northern Monk Refectory, but I was disappointed to be honest. To cut a long story short it just wasn't my thing. Even if the beer is good there.

Well... each to their own I guess. I like it in there much more than a scruffy old rat infested pub. And you can get a workout just by browsing through the menus!

Well... each to their own I guess. I like it in there much more than a scruffy old rat infested pub. And you can get a workout just by browsing through the menus!

I have a different take on that. My eyesight isn't the best and the keg labels are small and quite away behind the bar, which makes them difficult to read.

At least a pub like the Tap & Tankard has the pumps on the bar where even the most myopic customer can see them easily.

I have a different take on that. My eyesight isn't the best and the keg labels are small and quite away behind the bar, which makes them difficult to read.

At least a pub like the Tap & Tankard has the pumps on the bar where even the most myopic customer can see them easily.

Good to see the old Yorkshire spirit of 'change is not good' still alive and well! ;c)

• 3 weeks later...

Some brewery staff at Fat Cat were loudly discussing how badly the T`n`T is being run. The irony was not lost on me as I`ve seldom had such bad service as I received that day on Alma Street. Beer was ok though.

Some brewery staff at Fat Cat were loudly discussing how badly the T`n`T is being run. The irony was not lost on me as I`ve seldom had such bad service as I received that day on Alma Street. Beer was ok though.

I much prefer the T&T to either of the Kelham outlets down Alma Street. They have rested on laurels far too long and think they are above criticism. I prefer to vote with my feet tho. Rarely go down there these days.

Agree. I though T n T was ok. Think it was the first time I'd been in Fat Cat this year and it'll be a long time until I go again.

Last time I went was when a mate wanted to go to Craft & Dough for his birthday. Time before that was when we got turned away from the Sheffield Beer Festival. Neither time filled me with joy. But T&T has replaced Henrys and Spoons as an after work meeting place. Largely because of the others woeful lack of good beer.

Last time I went was when a mate wanted to go to Craft & Dough for his birthday. Time before that was when we got turned away from the Sheffield Beer Festival. Neither time filled me with joy. But T&T has replaced Henrys and Spoons as an after work meeting place. Largely because of the others woeful lack of good beer.

gotta say Dev Cat would be my pub of choice in that area. Not been to Henry's in ages, wasn't impressed with Brewhouse on the one occasion I went, McSpoons is McSpoons, Hop doesn't have a great beer range, so Dev Cat seems the pick - and is usually an acceptable choice when out with non-beer-geek colleagues