Wet Suit Alterations

Hi Becky

I've never done scuba but have surfed for many years and bought many wet suits.

I would be really suprised if you could get anyone to attempt to alter a wet suit.

It would Depend on the thickness of the neoprene (3/5,4/6 ect) and usually zips in cuffs and legs and heat sealed seams.

Wouldn't it be better to contact the company you got it from and try and get a different size?

It's always best to try it on before hand as although they stretch,people come in all sorts of shapes and sizes lol

Good luck anyhow

Hi Becky

I've never done scuba but have surfed for many years and bought many wet suits.

I would be really suprised if you could get anyone to attempt to alter a wet suit.

It would Depend on the thickness of the neoprene (3/5,4/6 ect) and usually zips in cuffs and legs and heat sealed seams.

Wouldn't it be better to contact the company you got it from and try and get a different size?

It's always best to try it on before hand as although they stretch,people come in all sorts of shapes and sizes lol

Good luck anyhow

Thanks. I didn't realise it was so complicated to be honest. No zips in the sleeves so thats one hurdle overcome. I tried contacting the company but to send it back (with it being international) would cost me more than the wetsuit due to the weight and size. Not to worry, I will learn by my mistake. Thanks again for your information :)

Ill bet there's a glue out there that you could use and stitch it, anything made can be repaired is my motto.

Well given that I used to make my own wetsuits for caving, yes there is glue available; or at least there used to be. Unfortunately the shop I used to frequent closed a number of years ago, but I'm sure a quick internet search will provide an answer.

Butt joint with glue on a seam and then, by hand with a needle and thread, cross/zig-zag overlock on both sides of the fabric. Finally tape over the outer stitching.

SDS definitely do dry-suit repairs, that's where I take mine, so would be worth a try for wetsuits. Arthur, the owner, is a helpful and knowledgeable guy and I'm sure that he will be able to offer advice.

If SDS can't help you, Seaskin at Leeds do made to measure drysuits so may be able to help, Go Dive at Derby and Divers Warehouse at Bradford are good for SCUBA equipment and could be able to help or advise.

Edited by Micky D