Our immigration policy..

With regards to the OP: the EU works on the principle of free movement of goods and people. Therefore the EU is technically excluded from UK immigration policy. However the UK is not part of the Schengen treaty so the UK can maintain its border controls.

The immigration policy applies to those that are not from the EU.

Leaving the EU won't help though, this years' net migration (June's figures for the first half, second half figures I don't think have been released yet) was in majority from people outside the EU and the majority of those were students (total non-EU student population in the UK was 300,000 in 2012/2013). But this inconveniences the picture that some people want to give you, claiming that the majority of immigrants are here to stay and leech the system.

Simple fact is that without immigration the UK would severely under perform in terms of level of education of the total population with only 23% of the UK population having a first degree. Not something you want to play around with when the global economy and in particular that of Europe is increasingly a knowledge-based economy where higher qualifications are necessary to ensure the country can maintain its relatively high wages and social security structure.

No,that is just moving the goalposts...........UKIP policy is not designed to 'help' non EU people to get into the UK more easily and are less discriminated against,it is designed to make it more 'discriminatory' for everyone,EU or non EU.....the notion being put out here that UKIP in some way are bothered that non EU people are being treated differently is false,it in no way alters the situation of non EU people with a view to entry to UK,they will be in exactly the same position they are now...........EU people will join them in that position under UKIP,UKIP are simply re arranging words and dressing it up as supporting non EU people against discrimination.

Applying equal treatment to all people from different countries can not be described as discrimination, of cause discrimination will still exist but it won't be based on nationality, it will be based on education, and the skills that the UK needs.

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 09:08 ----------

With regards to the OP: the EU works on the principle of free movement of goods and people. Therefore the EU is technically excluded from UK immigration policy. However the UK is not part of the Schengen treaty so the UK can maintain its border controls.

The immigration policy applies to those that are not from the EU.

Leaving the EU won't help though, this years' net migration (June's figures for the first half, second half figures I don't think have been released yet) was in majority from people outside the EU and the majority of those were students (total non-EU student population in the UK was 300,000 in 2012/2013). But this inconveniences the picture that some people want to give you, claiming that the majority of immigrants are here to stay and leech the system.

Simple fact is that without immigration the UK would severely under perform in terms of level of education of the total population with only 23% of the UK population having a first degree. Not something you want to play around with when the global economy and in particular that of Europe is increasingly a knowledge-based economy where higher qualifications are necessary to ensure the country can maintain its relatively high wages and social security structure.

That would rather depend on which party is in government and what their immigration policy is and what border controls they put in place.

Applying equal treatment to all people from different countries can not be described as discrimination, of cause discrimination will still exist but it won't be based on nationality, it will be based on education, and the skills that the UK needs.

UKIP policy does not change the position of non EU people with regard to entry to the UK,it just changes the position of EU people...........the notion that UKIP policy is designed to help non EU people be less discriminated against is false.............we know the sentiment behind it........it's UKIP.

UKIP policy does not change the position of non EU people with regard to entry to the UK,it just changes the position of EU people...........the notion that UKIP policy is designed to help non EU people be less discriminated against is false.............we know the sentiment behind it........it's UKIP.

Its not meant to, it simply equals the playing field by removeing the discrimination based on nationality and replacing it with discrimination based on education and skills.

That would rather depend on which party is in government and what their immigration policy is and what border controls they put in place.

No it wouldn't, I know you probably don't want to hear this but the UK needs immigration, even Farage knows that.

But let me paint the scenario: Let's say that immigration should be limited to 100,000 and NF magically comes into power, the first effect here in Sheffield will be the following:

the University of Sheffield will lose half its post graduate students (the ones that bring in money and skill). It will have to drastically restructure and will probably have to stop investing in things like the AMRC and so on. Lots of highly skilled people will have to leave Sheffield in an attempt to find work and probably end up abroad.

In the meantime the students that used to live in the city will not be there any more, resulting in lots of new empty apartment buildings and the combined financial blow to the city centre of losing inhabitants as well as high earners will mean that it really will turn into a ghetto.

But it is alright, because immigration is down, so the world is now looking a lot better.

No it wouldn't, I know you probably don't want to hear this but the UK needs immigration, even Farage knows that.

Yes it would and I did not claim that the UK does not need immigration, so my guess is that the remainder of your post which I didn't bother to read, also makes claims that I said something that I didn't say.

Yes it would and I did not claim that the UK does not need immigration, so my guess is that the remainder of your post which I didn't bother to read, also makes claims that I said something that I didn't say.

It is pretty clear from both this and your previous reply that you have difficulty absorbing longer pieces of text, ideal target for populist politics springs to mind.

Its not meant to, it simply equals the playing field by removeing the discrimination based on nationality and replacing it with discrimination based on education and skills.

If a non EU person applies for a job in the UK and they are more qualified for that job than an EU person,and the employer recognises that,the non EU person gets the job,all that is needed is that the employer applies and gets a visa,so the job is allocated based on skills already...........just because an EU person is free to work in the UK does not mean that they are automatically more likely to get the job over a non EU person...............skills and education apply,it's the employer that applies it,nothing to do with immigration policy or discrimination.

It is pretty clear from both this and your previous reply that you have difficulty absorbing longer pieces of text, ideal target for populist politics springs to mind.

There is little point in reading the entirety of an argument if it starts on a false premiss or with insults.

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 09:47 ----------

If a non EU person applies for a job in the UK and they are more qualified for that job than an EU person,and the employer recognises that,the non EU person gets the job,all that is needed is that the employer applies and gets a visa,so the job is allocated based on skills already...........just because an EU person is free to work in the UK does not mean that they are automatically more likely to get the job over a non EU person...............skills and education apply,it's the employer that applies it,nothing to do with immigration policy or discrimination.

To make the system fair that should apply to all non British citizens,

and who can and can not come and live in this country should not be just based on what an employer wants, immigration has to benefit all sections of society without disadvantaging anyone.

There is little point in reading the entirety of an argument if it starts on a false premiss or with insults.

Equally pointless having a debate with someone who's already had the same debate with you under a different username.

How's it hanging Smithy?