Surname eccles/spye

Hi brian my great grandmother was annie eliza eccles and was married to Edwin eccles and they lived on cuthbert bank road she had 3 children who were annie, arnold and sidney. My grandfather was sidney and he spent most of his young life in the workhouse and had an awful time if you would like anymore info please dont hesitate to get in touch kind regards keeley.

My grandmother used to live in a house/shop on the corner of Bamforth street & Cuthbert bank rd. All pulled down now. My aunt & uncle also had shop/beer off/ Pub Cuthbert Arms. My grans name was Lily Bradbury & aunt and uncle where Lizzie & Charles Bennett

All this is really interesting. Jim and Phoebe Eccles were my uncle and aunt. The house on Cuthbert Bank seems to have been home to a few generations of the Eccles family. I didn't know that before today. Phoebe's parents, who were my grandparents lived with them too at that address. I well remember the shop at the corner of Cuthbert Bank and Bamforth Street. We were in there often. My recollections of the Eccles family are almost all of the prewar years prior to 1939. OK, Boozy, Keely and Retep - tell us more.

All this is really interesting. Jim and Phoebe Eccles were my uncle and aunt. The house on Cuthbert Bank seems to have been home to a few generations of the Eccles family. I didn't know that before today. Phoebe's parents, who were my grandparents lived with them too at that address. I well remember the shop at the corner of Cuthbert Bank and Bamforth Street. We were in there often. My recollections of the Eccles family are almost all of the prewar years prior to 1939. OK, Boozy, Keely and Retep - tell us more.

Have George Henry White as Phoebe's father, was looking them up for a mate of mine Phoebe was his grandmother.

My great grandmother was a spye before she married edwin eccles and she died in ecclesall union workhouse around 1917 when my grandad was 10 he was then in Fulwood cottage homes until he was 15 what we cant understand is why his family didnt help him in anyway. He very rarely spoke about his time in the home and it was only after he died that we were told he had been very badly treated in the home.

Have George Henry White as Phoebe's father, was looking them up for a mate of mine Phoebe was his grandmother.

Hey up Retep that mate of yours wouldn,t be Dave by any chance would it?.I always wondered about his relations,I only ever met his dad who always it seemed to me to let him fend for his self!.I could have got it wrong as youngsters you didn,t think or worry about such things,it just stuck in my mind!.:confused::thumbsup:

Hey up Retep that mate of yours wouldn,t be Dave by any chance would it?.I always wondered about his relations,I only ever met his dad who always it seemed to me to let him fend for his self!.I could have got it wrong as youngsters you didn,t think or worry about such things,it just stuck in my mind!.:confused::thumbsup:

Yep he's been here today complete with oxygen pack on his back thinking he was Dan Dare, his dad was a great bloke very easy going.

---------- Post added 01-01-2015 at 19:21 ----------

My great grandmother was a spye before she married edwin eccles and she died in ecclesall union workhouse around 1917 when my grandad was 10 he was then in Fulwood cottage homes until he was 15 what we cant understand is why his family didnt help him in anyway. He very rarely spoke about his time in the home and it was only after he died that we were told he had been very badly treated in the home.

Don't know if you have already tried here, parish records,

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/

and here,

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/archives-and-local-studies/collections/workhouses-and-poor-law-unions.html

bottom of page downloads.