A Society based on Contributionism

Tend to agree with Tinfoilhat's point, there are way too many humans on earth. We are the scourge of the planet. Sooner we go extinct, the better. In fact, if I had a big red button that would instantly wipe out humanity and give the planet a chance to recover, you wouldn't be reading this...

Bed already? Beds are for sleepy people!!!

That would be ME :D

Let's stay up late and discuss the on coming global economic and ecological Armageddon !!!

Yes, someone needs to do this! Later in the week perhaps? When you've stayed off the sauce ;)

---------- Post added 29-12-2014 at 00:58 ----------

Tend to agree with Tinfoilhat's point, there are way too many humans on earth. We are the scourge of the planet. Sooner we go extinct, the better. In fact, if I had a big red button that would instantly wipe out humanity and give the planet a chance to recover, you wouldn't be reading this...

Believe me, I know how you feel

That would be ME :D

Yes, someone needs to do this! Later in the week perhaps? When you've stayed off the sauce ;)

---------- Post added 29-12-2014 at 00:58 ----------

Believe me, I know how you feel

I've not been drinking heavily far from it. And if you want to highlight where I'm wrong or want a few links to more reliable sources please say so. I'd love you to say I'm wrong. I'd love you to say that by knocking up a few wind turbines we are going to extend the length of time we can rely on fossil fuels (note I'm not neccessarily linking climate change with fossil fuels) when China are churning out coal fire power plants (inbetween chewing through the last remaining tigers)at a frightening rate to build bits of crap me, you and everyone else in the west think they need.

I'll debate with you TFH.

I'm not that interested in trying to fix things though, the whole show seems to be heading down the toilet, as far as I can tell. I think it's probably irrecoverable, and I don't think we have the gumption or presence of mind to change things and avoid disaster. Mostly because we are wired for greed / self-interest.

---------- Post added 29-12-2014 at 01:17 ----------

I say I'll debate with you, and I'll try, but I have to point out, I'm not very educated and clever. Sadly. I feel quite miserable in fact. Maybe because I'm driven by self interest. I dunno.

As a metaphor that sounds a bit like the husband who kills his kids because he's not happy with the missus...terribly messed up and narcissistic. When you say extinct does that mean your own extinction?

For the idea to work it would take a massive leap from mankind in an "altogether now" way. It'll never happen unless it's forced upon us by nature...which is most likely the scenario..and I guess it'll be ugly.

Humans want a great many things. This is irrelevant in a world with limited resources.

Why is it irrelevant due to limited resources?

I think that rather than the way you've put it, the reason why isolated tribes don't grow in numbers to a huge extent (like the rest of the world), is because they have these limited resources and learn to live to the limitations of their own resources, but also by not adopting the resources like say 'medical resources' (i.e. medical knowledge and pharmaceuticals) their lives are more limited in time. Like any other animals really apart from western society's.

For this system to work, then it would mean taking a step back - not something that people want, otherwise you wouldn't have people today putting their money into cancer treatments for example, so we can live longer.

This won't work globally because of what others have said, there are too many people now to try and convince to live like this, and most won't.

People say they want change and this sounds ok, but they won't want it when it means they'll have to change and lose things that are now considered to be normal things. The ones that have lost the appreciation of the luxuries that we have today only notice them when something happens to put this luxury in danger, even if only for a few hours or days. It's in the news virtually every day!

There are numerous subsistence communities in South America, India, Africa, Asia

yes and many who have taken 'just some' things from modern society to help their lives. Nothing wrong with that of course, but with each new thing introduced, then they become more like us.

What do you mean ash?

I mean if you think that Thatcher is responsible for modern lifestyles then you are being petty or naive, as I said.

People have wanted technology/machines/items to make like easier, probably for all time, but I would say that the industrial revolution is the major turning point. This can be seen with 'up and coming' countries having minor industrial revolutions even today.

How do you think they are likely to get on with the global population doubling in the past years (and likely to keep going at that rate) with ever dwindling resources? Will they even have anywhere to live (I'm thinking particularly of the South American tribes) in another hundred years?

They'll probably be gone. Luckily there are groups and people who want to try and keep them going, but for every person shouting for their survival, there'll be 10,000 people gobbling down a Big Mac.

---------- Post added 29-12-2014 at 01:25 ----------

As a metaphor that sounds a bit like the husband who kills his kids because he's not happy with the missus...terribly messed up and narcissistic. When you say extinct does that mean your own extinction?

For the idea to work it would take a massive leap from mankind in an "altogether now" way. It'll never happen unless it's forced upon us by nature...which is most likely the scenario..and I guess it'll be ugly.

Yes skinz, I agree with this bold.

Edited by *_ash_*
added a couple of words to make clearer

Nature will press the big red button for me I guess.

Humanity seems to me, out of control, out of touch with nature, we are victims of our own success and cleverness. We are overly concerned with the stuff we make, with shaping the world (atoms) around us to our desires. It's insanity, but we generally don't see it as such.

There definitely needs to be a lot less of us.

Nature will press the big red button for me I guess.

Humanity seems to me, out of control, out of touch with nature, we are victims of our own success and cleverness. We are overly concerned with the stuff we make, with shaping the world (atoms) around us to our desires. It's insanity, but we generally don't see it as such.

There definitely needs to be a lot less of us.

I agree to a point, I just hope you do not work in one of those nuclear weapons solos because I understand they have big red buttons. :D