Virgin Atlantic to try a "non standard" landing with no undercarriage.

Also known as a crash.... :(

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30625945

Finger crossed it'll work. There is going to be an awful lot of foam clearing later on...

It's a 747, so it's a serious incident.

---------- Post added 29-12-2014 at 15:35 ----------

They've just shown the route that the plane has taken via one of the plane tracker apps on BBC news, and it's been circling over the English Channel south of Brighton. It was a Gatwick to Las Vegas flight, so it must have been using up fuel/dumping the fuel.

News 24 just showed a picture of it going round and round over a VOR. It's outer gear is up, and the inner gear (the 747 has four sets of main gear) is part retracted as is the nosewheel.

I think they want a really long runway and a lot of foam. Gatwick isnt really big enough I suspect Heathrow will be getting busy with the fire tenders...

Edited by Obelix

News 24 just showed a picture of it going round and round over a VOR. It's outer gear is up, and the inner gear (the 747 has four sets of main gear) is part retracted as is the nosewheel.

I think they want a really long runway and a lot of foam. Stanstead isnt really big enough I suspect Heathrow will be getting busy with the fire tenders...

Apparently they're heading to Gatwick. BBC News just said that they've also done a couple of low passes over Gatwick for the engineers to check the plane out.