Looking for 'slingers'

pauliepaul

I have never heard the term doggers.....well not in this sense anyway,but seeing as we are on a crane lifting theme, could it also have referred to the person responsible for attaching "lifting dogs"

These are devices used for lifting plates and bars ,and grip the item firmly by their own weight rather than using chains.

Once again in the works and warehouses that I know of these would also be handled by slingers.

Thanks to all for the replies above - very useful

I am going to start a new thread now in light of RJB's helpful info on terminology.

Hi pauliepaul,

I worked in Central Warehouse at Firth Browns in the mid sixties when I was 20 to 22 years old. I was the chargehand but worked mainly in the office arranging transport etc. However, I took a crane driving course and occasionally drove the overhead crane and loaded and offloaded steel from lorries and railway wagons. The shop floor workers 'marked up' steel for delivery. They were also ''slingers'' and were responsible for attaching the chains and hooks or alternatively dogs which were right angled metal implements attached to the chains, depending on the type and weight of load. As mentioned by RJRB earlier, the weight of the metal would alone keep it secured on dogs. In my shop, this could be anything up to 10 tons for a single item. Particularly when dogs were used, the loads of steel would be placed on heavy wood battens to enable dogs to be placed under the load. The slingers also assisted the crane driver with simple clear hand signals such as you would use yourself when directing for, this way, that way, down a bit, up a bit, away you go and stop. Some examples of use are that the crane chains should vertical over the intended load and secure before lift and the steel load should be clear and above items nearby before move off. This was very necessary, as for example, in our shop the crane driver was suspended in a cab about sixty feet above and to one side of the item to be lifted and the driver used his skills in getting the chains vertical over the intended load and then, after lifting, gauging it's height from the ground. If the chains were not vertical, the load would immediately track sideways on lifting from the shop floor and you would not want to be in the way! I also occasionally carried out the slinger's role. The only safety equipment was a pair of strong gloves and a cloth flat cap, neither of which were mandatory. :)

You may be interested in forum posts on the thread ''anyone worked at firth brown's ?'' and in particular my post of 27th. Dec. regarding Central Warehouse.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi all,

I am trying to find someone who worked in a steelworks as the person who made specific hand signals to control the movement of cranes.

Myself and a friend are making a film about them - I have heard them described as banksmen, doggers and now slingers.

If you know of someone, or are such a person, could you please get in touch?

Thanks.

---------- Post added 03-01-2015 at 15:43 ----------

Hi pauliepaul,

I worked in Central Warehouse at Firth Browns in the mid sixties when I was 20 to 22 years old. I was the chargehand but worked mainly in the office arranging transport etc. However, I took a crane driving course and occasionally drove the overhead crane and loaded and offloaded steel from lorries and railway wagons. The shop floor workers 'marked up' steel for delivery. They were also ''slingers'' and were responsible for attaching the chains and hooks or alternatively dogs which were right angled metal implements attached to the chains, depending on the type and weight of load. As mentioned by RJRB earlier, the weight of the metal would alone keep it secured on dogs. In my shop, this could be anything up to 10 tons for a single item. Particularly when dogs were used, the loads of steel would be placed on heavy wood battens to enable dogs to be placed under the load. The slingers also assisted the crane driver with simple clear hand signals such as you would use yourself when directing for, this way, that way, down a bit, up a bit, away you go and stop. Some examples of use are that the crane chains should vertical over the intended load and secure before lift and the steel load should be clear and above items nearby before move off. This was very necessary, as for example, in our shop the crane driver was suspended in a cab about sixty feet above and to one side of the item to be lifted and the driver used his skills in getting the chains vertical over the intended load and then, after lifting, gauging it's height from the ground. If the chains were not vertical, the load would immediately track sideways on lifting from the shop floor and you would not want to be in the way! I also occasionally carried out the slinger's role. The only safety equipment was a pair of strong gloves and a cloth flat cap, neither of which were mandatory. :)

You may be interested in forum posts on the thread ''anyone worked at firth brown's ?'' and in particular my post of 27th. Dec. regarding Central Warehouse.

Regards, Peter.

Hi Peter,

Would you be happy to meet up with myself and a friend? We are artists who are interested and the hand movements and are making a film which incorporates these hand movements. We could come and met you at a location of your choice?

Best,

Paul